What if Hitler had nuclear weapons? - Page 2

--

February 1st, 2010  
LeEnfield

One of the reasons that the Japanese built three huge submarines that could carry aircraft was so that they could attack the Panama Canal and places like Los Angeles with the dirty bombs once they had got the material from Germany.
February 2nd, 2010  
Spaniard

Quote:
They were standard bombs delivered by elaborately designed balloons as I recall a couple reached the USA and failed to function and the rest splashed down in the ocean.

http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/...cle_8992.shtml

Yeaupeeeeee that the ones, Great! Yes your right only a few made it. But no bang.

Last night on Discovery the were showing the underground City he built in Berlin, massive
bomb shelters surrounded by many Fortified Gun Towers.

J
February 5th, 2010  
Supostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarsonar
1. What if Hitler had nuclear weapons at his disposal? would the outcome of the world war 2 been different?
In general, no.

1. Without doubts, production of nuclear weapons during WW2 was post-experimental, i.e. they were produced in couple of bombs. It means that even in the most optimistic scenario (from Hitler's point of view) Germany would be able to create one, two or very maximum - three bombs. No mass production.

2. Next, possible target. This option goes with 2 problems:
a) how to choose most priority target? To drop bomb on the army, concentrating for the next massive offensive just behind the frontline, or try to drop the bomb on the Red Square?
b) As I know, in late 1944 and 1945 German side had very limited resources of aviation, allied sides had almost unquestionable air superiority. I.e., there was very little chance that German bomber, equipped with A-bomb, would reach its target without being troubled by allied fighters.

3. Even if the drop was successful it only would encourage allies to defeat the Nazis ASAP, until they do not start mass production of A-bombs.
--
February 5th, 2010  
LeEnfield

The Germans had developed a flying wing aircraft which could have been scaled up to carry a dirty bomb across the Atlantic. The Target for this bomb was New York and being a jet propelled flying wing it would have been flying to high and fast to bothered with Allied Fighters. Now if many thousands of people had been killed in New York I wonder if their resolve to fight on would have been quite so great. There again by this time America would have had its first bomb and I wonder where they might have dropped that
February 10th, 2010  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin717
Well actually, Germany was the closet to creating the nuclear bomb first. However, they couldn't get the right stone to make it work properly, they should have used granite I think but used something else. However they never got a chance to find out what stone to use because the Americans raided the lab before they could find out. They then took the plans and finally made them work.
Not so sure about that. The Germans were working on a bomb based on heavy water whereas the Americans used Uranium. My understanding of science is limited by I understand that is considerably harder to cause a atomic reaction via the heavy water approach

Secondly Noweigan Resistence, French Military Intelligence (prior to its capitulation), the RAF, and the British SOE all took turns in thwarting the German Atomic project. The German program was so delayed by sabotoge, air raids and theft of materials that the program never really had a chance.
February 15th, 2010  
03USMC

If Adolph had the the Atomic Bomb he would have used it...as often as he could. Next question.
March 15th, 2010  
Czin

The first targets would be London and Moscow, and if he had an intercontinental bomber, New york and Washington. He still would have lost, but WWII would be remembered as the first and hopefully only nuclear war in history, as America would soon drop their own A-bombs on Berlin.
March 18th, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

Well, they could only had made nuclear bombs. They built rockets (V1, V2) and actually mass-produced and shot them against London by the thousands. They could have put bombs like the TNT, but no, they didn't put any kind of massive explosives in it. It they had a nuclear bomb, they would have most likely pulled two V2s and put the bomb in them and lauched them to Moscow and London. (No, the V1s and the V2s couldn't reach America)
March 18th, 2010  
Czin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Seaboy
Well, they could only had made nuclear bombs. They built rockets (V1, V2) and actually mass-produced and shot them against London by the thousands. They could have put bombs like the TNT, but no, they didn't put any kind of massive explosives in it. It they had a nuclear bomb, they would have most likely pulled two V2s and put the bomb in them and lauched them to Moscow and London. (No, the V1s and the V2s couldn't reach America)
After nuking london and wiping out the british leadership, Britain would most likely be crippled. Leaving those wacky nazis free to research a submarine carriable nuclear weapon, sneak up to new york, and commence nuclear shenanigans, causing a terrible loss of life. They could also do this to Norflork, doing tremendous damage to the Eastern Seaboard's fleet, and to D.C, obliterating the U.S's leadership.

This would either horribly piss off the united states, or it would make them give up. Britain would probably try to reconsolidate, while the Sovjets start feeling the fury of the atom. If the Americans still wished to fight, you can bet that Berlin would be the target of a nuclear strike (after they finished rebuilding three cities)

Germany would still lose, but America's casualties would be much higher.
June 23rd, 2011  
tazjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62x51
If Germany had the bomb back around 1943, I'm convinced they would have used it. The Allies then would have completed their own and dropped them on Germany instead of Japan. It would have altered the war, but I believe the outcome would have been the same only with more destruction and death on all sides.
Note necessarily so... A Japanese Diplomatic signal from Stockholm reported that Germany used uranium atom splitting weapons of enormous power against the Soviets in 1943 and early 1944, but were deterred by Soviet threats to retaliate with mass poison gas attacks.

In May 1944 the British repatriated General der Panzertruppe Hans Cremer to meet with Hitler and convey a warning that Churchill was contemplating dropping Anthrax over Germany unless Hitler abandoned his nuclear project.

In July 1944, USA also warned Hitler via the Legation in Lisbon that if he did not sue for peace within 6 weeks Dresden would be bombed with an Atomic weapon. A B-29 bomber was paraded before the press in England to reinforce the threat.

Hitler met with Roumania's Antonescu on 6 August 1944 and confided in him that although Germany already had nuclear weapons he would not use them until Germany possessed countermeasures to the Allied threats. Germany for example lacked antibiotics to withstand an Anthrax attack. Such an attack would have quickly starved Germany into submission.

Just because Germany did not use nukes against the Western Allies does not automatically imply they never acquired them. There are other more interesting explanations.