What do you hold dear?

Intoxicated_Ant

Hey guys i thought it might be an idea to share some things that we hold dear to ourselfs. Most of us would have the obvious things like family and country/militarys, but is there anything else some sort of organisation your a part of or some cause that your specialy fond of?

For me it's the NSW RFS (New South Wales Rural Fire Service). It's a voluntry fire service that covers most of NSW. I joined when i was 17, 19 now and the only reason i could ever see for having to leave the RFS is if when i leave for enlistment i'll enevatibly be sent outside of NSW to another state, in which case i'd probably join that states Voulntry fire Dept. But yeah most of all it's being able to work with the RFS.

Just recently we where sent interstate to Victoria (In case you havn't guessed yet, i'm from Australia :wink:) as part of a task force to help the Victorians who where suffering from some out of control Bush Fires, on the day we left i think there was number of something like 200 000 hecters of land burnt. If you have a look HERE you should be able to see some pictures of myself and my crew mates down there. (If your wondering which one is me, i'm the tallish good looking one :wink:)

But yeah for me the guys at my fire station have also acted a bit like my father figure for me, growing up without a dad they where sorta there for me. As well as that i have learn't some really good things and according to the certificates i have i'm some sort of specialsit :p.

Anyway to me that organisation is something that i hold dear and would defend and for me it really sums up what it is to be human and help your fellow man. So what about you guys?

Well, all I belong to is the American Legion and their sole purpose is veteran's aid so I choose them.

Nice photos mate. It looks like great fun. Do you have to be in the bush to join the rural fire service?

RAInf said:
Nice photos mate. It looks like great fun. Do you have to be in the bush to join the rural fire service?

No not really. The stats on the RFS web site are that 70,000 volunteers cover 95% of NSW with the remaining 5% being covered by the NSWFB (The career fire fighters). If you wanted to join, you should be able to find a station in most towns, the only places where you wouldn't find one is in the larger citys, and even then the NSWFB have voluntry units with in them, but thats nothing like the RFS. Ontop of that in some places NSWFB and RFS will be in teh same towns working together.

Also the work that the RFS does is not just Bush fire fighting, I myself am a CABA Operator, (Combressed Air Breathing Aparatus), You know those guys who go into burning buildings with the scub-like gear on.

And yes, it is great fun :D

Yay, Im not the only RFS Bloke here.

Im at Bullaburra Station up here in the mountains, Joined last year, my dad joined at Narellan in 93, seen every major incident since then, and when we moved to the mountains, I pretty much felt like I had to join. Same with little Brother, though he is more involved in it than I am.

its a great group to be apart of.
Intoxicated Ant, we have a member of our station who is in the A.R.A, he remains a member of Bullaburra, but only as a reserve member, he isn't on the call out list, and doesn't have to attended meetings, maintence nights or drills, but he is still a member of Bullaburra. If you want to remain in the RFS, I'd say talk to your Captain, he will probably know what sort of arrangment it is.

Yeah i get what your at Bory. Last September when i was originaly supposed to enlist i set it all up so could remain a member, BTW My Station is Culburra Beach - Maybe we'll meet on a section 44 one day :D

the Way things were looking at Cootamundra, that may have been much sooner than later

Back