West Point

USAOwnz

I'd like to know the exact things that I would have to do to get into West Point. For instance, the amount of community service, SAT, ACT scores, etc., and what I can do more to make me stand out.

When I was applying I found the most difficult part was getting a nomination. I needed a letter of recommendation from a teacher and principal then also had to compete for a nomination by a Senator or Congressman. I found out I was competing against a friend of mine for one of the last nomination slots. Which he got.

As far as SAT scores go, verbal should be >590 and math should be >620 in order to be competative. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the ACT Composite score minimum was 27 or so. Remember the academy's have the lowest acceptance rate among ANY public schools in the country. They range from 10-12% accepted. So you want to score as high as you can on the tests and have an excellent school record, most students had a >3.6GPA in high school. It also helps if you know some higher ups in any branch of the military.
Of the academies, I chose USNA because the environement was the most liveable since it was in the middle of Annapolis. A friend of mine told me he hates the AFA because they're in the middle of no where. It's up to you, good luck.

Yeah, I kind of shot myself in the foot on this, I am not on the greatest of terms with many of my teachers, or the principal, and I do not do homework. Don't get me wrong, I get great test scores, but for some reason just learning is not good enough, you have to prove over and over and over again that you can do it, I guess getting the highest score possible on the states assessment tests is not good enough, you have to do the homework or kiss some major ass.

Damien435 said:
Yeah, I kind of shot myself in the foot on this, I am not on the greatest of terms with many of my teachers, or the principal, and I do not do homework. Don't get me wrong, I get great test scores, but for some reason just learning is not good enough, you have to prove over and over and over again that you can do it, I guess getting the highest score possible on the states assessment tests is not good enough, you have to do the homework or kiss some major ass.

not totally true, if you pulled off a 1590 or 1600 i'm sure they'd make some exceptions with a decent gpa. by that i mean probably around a 3.0. there were two kids in my school who had pretty high sat scores, one a 1590 and the other a 1600. the guy with the 1590 was getting a 3.25 and was still able to get into harvard.

egoz said:
Damien435 said:

not totally true, if you pulled off a 1590 or 1600 i'm sure they'd make some exceptions with a decent gpa. by that i mean probably around a 3.0. there were two kids in my school who had pretty high sat scores, one a 1590 and the other a 1600. the guy with the 1590 was getting a 3.25 and was still able to get into harvard.
I'd like to know how they got SAt scores that high! Geeze that is perferct!

You can miss a few questions and still get an 800 on either the Verbal or Math, it just stops at 800, so really a perfect would be higher than a combined 1600, but it just stops recording.

Damien435 said:
You can miss a few questions and still get an 800 on either the Verbal or Math, it just stops at 800, so really a perfect would be higher than a combined 1600, but it just stops recording.

if i remember correctly he told me that he missed something like 8 questions in verbal.

Damien435 said:
Thanks for the info.

I got a 1600 combined without even studying or anything, just went in and took the test, but still, I don't do homework and I guess doing the same thing 20-28 times proves more than getting it right once without breaking a sweat. So many holes and hipocrocies in the school system, I prove almost every teaching theory wrong, I do not do homework, I do not study, I do not eat breakfast, and I don't fail tests, I pass them with ease. Physics is concidered one of the hardest classes in my school, don't know why, Trig or Calc seems harder to me, I got D's for homework grades, and aced the finals, I got a 92 on my first semester tests and a 94 on my finals, and oh yes, I did not use a cheat sheet like we had the option to do. Anyways, that is more bragging than I have ever done, sorry about this, just had to let my frustrations with the school systems out.

One more thing, I hate it when teachers say "You should be thankful to be getting a free education." A. It is not free, and B. Who says I am learning anything? Do the teachers ever wonder how it is that I can read six hours a day and still know what to do? I hope they do not use me as a shining example of their teaching skills, because they could stand up front and talk about Oranges for all I care and I would still know what to do.

Would I even be considered by having decent grades and a good SAT score, but my dad has political connections will that help? and my leadership is pretty good also. Would West Point consider me?

airmanpatroler said:
Would I even be considered by having decent grades and a good SAT score, but my dad has political connections will that help? and my leadership is pretty good also. Would West Point consider me?
when you say political connections i hope you mean someone in the legislature or higher because those are the ones that really matter. i believe the connections are a lot more important than the test scores to tell you the truth. it makes things so much easier, so if you really really want to get in, push those connections really hard.

Damien435 said:
I got a 1600 combined without even studying or anything, just went in and took the test, but still, I don't do homework and I guess doing the same thing 20-28 times proves more than getting it right once without breaking a sweat. So many holes and hipocrocies in the school system, I prove almost every teaching theory wrong, I do not do homework, I do not study, I do not eat breakfast, and I don't fail tests, I pass them with ease. Physics is concidered one of the hardest classes in my school, don't know why, Trig or Calc seems harder to me, I got D's for homework grades, and aced the finals, I got a 92 on my first semester tests and a 94 on my finals, and oh yes, I did not use a cheat sheet like we had the option to do. Anyways, that is more bragging than I have ever done, sorry about this, just had to let my frustrations with the school systems out.

One more thing, I hate it when teachers say "You should be thankful to be getting a free education." A. It is not free, and B. Who says I am learning anything? Do the teachers ever wonder how it is that I can read six hours a day and still know what to do? I hope they do not use me as a shining example of their teaching skills, because they could stand up front and talk about Oranges for all I care and I would still know what to do.

Kid, you may have gotten a 1600 on the SAT, but you lack maturity, common sense, and dozen other types intelligence that are required for you to make it in the real world. You strike me as the type of person that pisses people off a lot, and trust me, that will only get you so far, mainly on people's black lists. I hope you take this as advice and nothing else, but you really need to evaluate your attitude toward things and eliminate your complex of superiority if you are ever to make it anywhere.

Damien435 said:

If this doesn't make you realize that the entire way you go about life is flawed, I don't know what will. Often times test scores are not good enough. To be a leader, you are going to need far greater abilities than a perfect score on the SAT.

Well I have worked so hard my two years of high school and still got like a 3.2 and to have some one that doesnt do anything go to West Point... well that ll down right piss me off.

airmanpatroler said:
Well I have worked so hard my two years of high school and still got like a 3.2 and to have some one that doesnt do anything go to West Point... well that ll down right piss me off.
i'd like to point out that even if you do have a GPA that isn't "competative" for the school, they will still review your transcipts. if they realize that the courses you took were college prep courses or were difficult, you can still be considered for the school (weighted gpa vs unweighted gpa is an example). but sadly, there is a lot of politics involved in getting into the academies. if your father or some family member is a high ranking member of the military, or if you know someone or is related to someone who holds a high political position, they will both very much contribute to the selection process.

I don't know too much about getting into military academies, but i'll tell you one thing, I graduated with a guy that went to WEst Point and another that went to the Airforce Academy. THey didn't have any political connections, but they were in the top 10 (alongside with me), they did community service, held leadership positions in school, and wrote their congressmen to get them to sponsor them and it worked. So you don't really need connections, I guess; just good writing skills and persuasive abilities. If you are an exceptional student in different core areas, you shouldn't have to much trouble getting a nomination.

Back