West Point

--

November 5th, 2004  
USAOwnz

Topic: West Point

I'd like to know the exact things that I would have to do to get into West Point. For instance, the amount of community service, SAT, ACT scores, etc., and what I can do more to make me stand out.
November 5th, 2004  
03USMC

Check the sticky on this page.
November 5th, 2004  
egoz

When I was applying I found the most difficult part was getting a nomination. I needed a letter of recommendation from a teacher and principal then also had to compete for a nomination by a Senator or Congressman. I found out I was competing against a friend of mine for one of the last nomination slots. Which he got.

As far as SAT scores go, verbal should be >590 and math should be >620 in order to be competative. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the ACT Composite score minimum was 27 or so. Remember the academy's have the lowest acceptance rate among ANY public schools in the country. They range from 10-12% accepted. So you want to score as high as you can on the tests and have an excellent school record, most students had a >3.6GPA in high school. It also helps if you know some higher ups in any branch of the military.
Of the academies, I chose USNA because the environement was the most liveable since it was in the middle of Annapolis. A friend of mine told me he hates the AFA because they're in the middle of no where. It's up to you, good luck.
--
November 6th, 2004  
USAOwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Check the sticky on this page.
They aren't based on personal experience. They don't give you that type of info.
November 7th, 2004  
Damien435

Yeah, I kind of shot myself in the foot on this, I am not on the greatest of terms with many of my teachers, or the principal, and I do not do homework. Don't get me wrong, I get great test scores, but for some reason just learning is not good enough, you have to prove over and over and over again that you can do it, I guess getting the highest score possible on the states assessment tests is not good enough, you have to do the homework or kiss some major ass.
November 8th, 2004  
egoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Yeah, I kind of shot myself in the foot on this, I am not on the greatest of terms with many of my teachers, or the principal, and I do not do homework. Don't get me wrong, I get great test scores, but for some reason just learning is not good enough, you have to prove over and over and over again that you can do it, I guess getting the highest score possible on the states assessment tests is not good enough, you have to do the homework or kiss some major ass.
not totally true, if you pulled off a 1590 or 1600 i'm sure they'd make some exceptions with a decent gpa. by that i mean probably around a 3.0. there were two kids in my school who had pretty high sat scores, one a 1590 and the other a 1600. the guy with the 1590 was getting a 3.25 and was still able to get into harvard.
November 8th, 2004  
USAOwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
Quote:
not totally true, if you pulled off a 1590 or 1600 i'm sure they'd make some exceptions with a decent gpa. by that i mean probably around a 3.0. there were two kids in my school who had pretty high sat scores, one a 1590 and the other a 1600. the guy with the 1590 was getting a 3.25 and was still able to get into harvard.
I'd like to know how they got SAt scores that high! Geeze that is perferct!
November 8th, 2004  
Damien435

You can miss a few questions and still get an 800 on either the Verbal or Math, it just stops at 800, so really a perfect would be higher than a combined 1600, but it just stops recording.
November 9th, 2004  
egoz

Quote:
You can miss a few questions and still get an 800 on either the Verbal or Math, it just stops at 800, so really a perfect would be higher than a combined 1600, but it just stops recording.
if i remember correctly he told me that he missed something like 8 questions in verbal.
November 10th, 2004  
USAOwnz

Quote:
Thanks for the info.