Well happy VE day folks...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
Even though we celebrate it on the 9th of May (8th May Euro-time) here I prefer to regard the 7th as the proper date even if the Russians disagree.

VE Day

Germany surrendered in the early afternoon of 7 May 1945, New Zealand time. The news became known the next morning, with huge headlines in the morning papers. But the acting prime minister, Walter Nash, insisted that celebrations should wait until British Prime Minister Winston Churchill officially announced the peace, which would not be heard in New Zealand until 1 a.m. on 9 May. So on Tuesday, 8 May, when everybody felt like celebrating, Nash told the country by radio that they should all go to work and that VE Day would be on the 9th.

Celebration by instruction
The feeling of victory was in the air, but no-one was inclined to let off steam without official authorisation ... The mayor of a local body hit the nail on the head when he remarked, 'In 20 years' time, school children will be asked to define the word anti-climax, and the answer will be "March [sic] 8, 1945".'

New Zealand Herald, 9 May 1945

Most New Zealanders accepted the edict. They were not 'inclined to let off steam without official authorisation'. Only Dunedin bucked the trend. There, the holding of the university's capping parade released the inhibitions. By midday the factory workers had downed tools. The town hall bells were rung, and the mayor held a short ceremony in the Octagon. Even then, this spontaneous celebration never exceeded the bounds of decorum.

On VE Day itself weeks of official preparation rolled into action. Citizens were woken by bells and sirens, and flags quickly appeared. At the Government Buildings in Wellington there were speeches by the governor-general, the acting prime minister and the leader of the opposition. The American, Soviet and New Zealand national anthems were sung, and only then, after midday, did official local ceremonies start.

These local programmes of events, which generally extended over the next day, 10 May, which was also a public holiday, were highly orchestrated affairs. There were bands parading, community sing-songs, thanksgiving services (often held at the local war memorial), and, in smaller places, bonfires and sports programmes for the children and victory balls for the adults. In Wellington music was played at three sites, and there was a victory service at the Basin Reserve. In Christchurch the Trades Council organised a People's Victory March in which 25,000 paraded from Latimer Square to Cathedral Square singing patriotic ditties.

The organised ceremonies were in part designed to keep the lid on more spontaneous celebration. There was, of course, plenty of spontaneity – the pubs were full, and in Wellington there was broken glass in the streets, and government documents and confetti were thrown out of windows. There was singing and dancing in the streets and strangers kissing. People joined together in crocodile lines and took part in impromptu street theatre. But it never got out of hand. There was little damage to property, and in both Wellington and Auckland, there was just one case brought before the courts the next day. Elsewhere, citizens were complimented on their 'commendable restraint'.

------------------------------------
VE Day celebrations at the New Zealand Parliament

ww2-004.jpg

Crowds gather in front of Parliament Buildings in Wellington to celebrate victory in Europe.

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/ve-day

New Zealand and the Second World War
Our part in a global conflict

The Second World War was the greatest conflict ever to engulf the world. It took the lives of 50 million people, including one in every 150 New Zealanders, and shaped the world that we have lived in ever since.

New Zealand was involved for all but three of the 2179 days of the war — a commitment on a par only with Britain and Australia. It was a war in which New Zealanders gave their greatest national effort — on land, on the sea and in the air — and a war that New Zealanders fought globally, from Egypt, Italy and Greece to Japan and the Pacific.

The impact on the home front was considerable. The nature of the Second World War not only gave impetus to New Zealanders' developing sense of identity but also greatly increased their confidence in their role in the world.

Quick facts and figures:

- The population of New Zealand in 1940 was about 1,600,000.

- About 140,000 New Zealand men and women served, 104,000 in 2NZEF, the rest in the British or New Zealand naval or air forces.

- Fatal casualties during the conflict numbered 11,928 (Commonwealth War Graves Commission figures).

- Post-war calculations indicated that New Zealand's ratio of killed per million of population (at 6684) was the highest in the Commonwealth (with Britain at 5123 and Australia, 3232).

- In contrast to its entry into the First World War, New Zealand acted in its own right by formally declaring war on Germany on 3 September (unlike Australia, which held that the King's declaration, as in 1914, automatically extended to all his Dominions).

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/new-zealand-and-the-second-world-war-overview

Hehe I was amazed by the number of people in the picture, I didn't realise we had that many in the country in 1945 let alone Wellington.

To be honest I don't know why it has been forgotten but almost no one I spoke to today had the faintest idea what I was talking about and the best I got was a comment from a workmate to the effect of "Well that explains why Hitler's picture was on TV last night" so I figured I should do my bit and post something here.

Somewhere I have pictures my father took of New Zealand troops celebrating outside Trieste in 1945 which always amused him as they they had no idea the war was over until a German delegation told them.

Happy VE day to all.

On May 4, German forces in Holland, Denmark and northwest Germany surrendered to British Field Marshall Montgomery, but today is a special day for me, it is the day when I remember and honor my old comrades.

Otto and I, (Otto is my dog) always goes to the place where I was captured by the British in 1945. Then I lay flowers on the spot and commemorate fallen comrades. I give them one last salute and usually end by reciting the first verse of the song: "Ich hatt' einen Kameraden"

"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden,
Einen bessern findst du nit.
Die Trommel schlug zum Streite,
Er ging an meiner Seite
In gleichem Schritt und Tritt."

(I once had a comrade,
you won't find a better one.
The drum was rolling for battle,
he was marching by my side
in the same pace and stride.)

Then we go home and eat a good lunch with plenty of snaps.

Last edited:
Have always liked that song. The message of the song just seems stronger when it´s done in German.

If my grandfather had been alive today, he would raise his glass to you and toast to absent friends.
:cheers:

Happy VE day to all.

On May 4, German forces in Holland, Denmark and northwest Germany surrendered to British Field Marshall Montgomery, but today is a special day for me, it is the day when I remember and honor my old comrades.

Otto and I, (Otto is my dog) always goes to the place where I was captured by the British in 1945. Then I lay flowers on the spot and commemorate fallen comrades. I give them one last salute and usually end by reciting the first verse of the song: "Ich hatt' einen Kameraden"

"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden,
Einen bessern findst du nit.
Die Trommel schlug zum Streite,
Er ging an meiner Seite
In gleichem Schritt und Tritt."

(I once had a comrade,
you won't find a better one.
The drum was rolling for battle,
he was marching by my side
in the same pace and stride.)

Then we go home and eat a good lunch with plenty of snaps.

Beautiful. I hope you don't mind I post something simmilar.:salute:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY[/ame]

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again
Some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Till the blue skies
Drive the dark clouds far away

Didn't the British paratroopers sang this song when they were captured at Arnhem? I'm not very sure.(movie a Bridge too Far?)

This takes me back a few years, I remember going into London to celebrate VE day and the whole thing was quite wild, I was in the crowds in the front of Buckingham Palace and I was all around the west end. A few days later the blackout was ended and the streets lights came back on, which seemed so odd as they had been switched off for a greater part of my life. Also it ended that period when you saw a lad come to school with a long face only to be told which member of his family he had just lost. Although the war was not over the writing was on the wall and we all looked forwarded to better things, mind you it took quite a few years before things started to improve

Happy VE day to all.

I cant imagine that VE day is "celebrated" in Germany but is it acknowledged at all (other than personal events as you have mentioned here)?

New Zealand only tends to commemorate Armistice day in November and ANZAC day in April which is used as remembrance day for all wars.

What intrigues me is this comment:
New Zealand was involved for all but three of the 2179 days of the war

What 3 days did we take off?

Since we declared war at the same time as Britain I can only assume we ended the war with Japan 3 days early or maybe we took a long weekend in the middle somewhere for a BBQ?

This takes me back a few years, I remember going into London to celebrate VE day and the whole thing was quite wild, I was in the crowds in the front of Buckingham Palace and I was all around the west end. A few days later the blackout was ended and the streets lights came back on, which seemed so odd as they had been switched off for a greater part of my life. Also it ended that period when you saw a lad come to school with a long face only to be told which member of his family he had just lost. Although the war was not over the writing was on the wall and we all looked forwarded to better things, mind you it took quite a few years before things started to improve

I can only imagine the joy and elation experienced on VE day. No more bombing, no more V1's, no more V2's and the end of the blackout after 6 long years of war. But then the sadness of those not coming home.

I cant imagine that VE day is "celebrated" in Germany but is it acknowledged at all (other than personal events as you have mentioned here)?

New Zealand only tends to commemorate Armistice day in November and ANZAC day in April which is used as remembrance day for all wars.
No, that's just sentimental old fools like me who remember old war comrades that day. To most Germans it is a day which should not be celebrated, but whose reasons and effects should be contemplated. Mind, I am talking about how Germany handles this day, not the Allies. You guys have every reason to celebrate. 8 May marked the end of one of history's most cruel dictatorships, but it also marked something else but the liberation from Nazism:

Between 12 to 14 million German civilians were driven from their homes. Two million of them did die trying to reach what remained of Germany, many of them were outright murdered in acts of revenge no less barbarous than those the Nazis had committed.

Hundreds of thousands of women and girls became subject to rape, especially committed by the Soviet occupation troops. Celebrating 8 May in this regard is like celebrating "Rape Your Gandma" Day!

Germany was 'liberated' of its full sovereignity for 45 years. Some say it still does not fully have it back.

Germany was cut apart and became the plaything of two superpowers as well as the doomed battleground of a possible future nuclear war.

We can be most happy that Nazism belongs to the dustbin of history. But nobody can force the Germans to celebrate what it did cost Germany and the Germans to get to this point. Nothing better than the end of Nazism, and the end of the Nazi crimes, could have happened to Germany and the Germans. And the allied nations have every right to celebrate their victory. But given what the day meant for Germany, given what getting there did cost us! Do not expect Germans to celebrate that.

This is still a widespread attitude among Germans.

As I mentioned I did not expect that Germany would celebrate VE day, it seems only New Zealand and Australia commemorate defeats in the form of ANZAC day but despite the disaster of Gallipoli it did form our national identity and it is the ideal day to remember the sacrifices made in getting us to this point.

I guess what I was getting at rather clumsily was whether Germany had some form of remembrance day (not necessarily WW2 related).

We have a "Volkstrauertag" (people's mourning day) the second from last Sunday before the first day of Advent. Remembering those that died in the wars and under suppressive governments. The VE day itself is not observed in Germany.

Der Alte

When you mentioned about the numbers of Germans dispossessed you failed to mention that a large area of occupied countries was designated a Greater Germany and the people from these countries were thrown off there farms and out of their business and they were handed over to German immigrants for nothing, and they were helped by Germans that already lived there so was any surprise that when Germany lost the war these people were forced out.

Now as a lad I met quite a number of German POW and quite liked them and when a local vicar went on about killing Germans I refused to be confirmed in that church, so it is not out of dislike for the Germans I pass these comments.

Now there was a lot rape and murder through out Eastern Europe and is it any wonder that troops from that area paid you back in kind.

As far as remembering the men you fought with and shared all the horrors of war, then personally I have no objections, The German soldier on the whole was brave man and stood his ground well. When you compare what happen in Eastern Europe to what happened in the Western Desert there is no comparison.

What intrigues me is this comment:

What 3 days did we take off?

Since we declared war at the same time as Britain I can only assume we ended the war with Japan 3 days early or maybe we took a long weekend in the middle somewhere for a BBQ?

probably a rugby game with the Aussies

Der Alte

When you mentioned about the numbers of Germans dispossessed you failed to mention that a large area of occupied countries was designated a Greater Germany and the people from these countries were thrown off there farms and out of their business and they were handed over to German immigrants for nothing, and they were helped by Germans that already lived there so was any surprise that when Germany lost the war these people were forced out.

Now as a lad I met quite a number of German POW and quite liked them and when a local vicar went on about killing Germans I refused to be confirmed in that church, so it is not out of dislike for the Germans I pass these comments.

Now there was a lot rape and murder through out Eastern Europe and is it any wonder that troops from that area paid you back in kind.

As far as remembering the men you fought with and shared all the horrors of war, then personally I have no objections, The German soldier on the whole was brave man and stood his ground well. When you compare what happen in Eastern Europe to what happened in the Western Desert there is no comparison.
I do not disagree with you.
It was the general opinion amongst the Germans I expressed.

The war still hurts Germans my age. There are still some who hate the English and Americans because of the "terror bombing" of German cities.

Back