Weapons used by SWAT ?

That depends on how much they want to spend, and their SOPs regarding the use of automatic weapons in their respective environments. IMO, only SWAT/CERT/etc type units should have automatic capabilities, and even then they better be damn proficient with said weapons.

*edited to add: the civilian laws pertaining to the buying and use of automatic weapons doesn't apply to law enforcement (i.e. post 86 dealer samples, imports, etc.) but it still costs a lot. 556 knows what I'm talking about.

Yes but Police are still civillians and thefore would not be allowed to use the miltary variant M16 they would have to use the civillian AR15...Symantics is really is what I am getting at....

Negative.....

Department issue firearms are and have been fully automatic. Law Enforcement officers can buy what ever they want as long as they have a letter stamp and a approval from the department if it is a post 86 full auto.

Trust me on this. I'm a former gun smith and Class 3 Dealer. I had PDs all the time buy post 86 firearms.

I'm also a LEO.

Also, Police Officers are not civilians according to many state laws. Hence why if you hit me, I can have you charged with battery on a LEO. Which is a First Degree Felony. If you hit a civilian, it would be a Second Degree Felony.

My Fathers department has military M16A1's the army gave them. They can have what ever they want hell as a kid growing up when he was on call he carried a 40mm grenade launcher in are mini van

I suppose its due to the inteligance at hand to the department, and the estimated threat level the targets may be,for instance,

If the target is armed with a hand gun and is a dangrous suspect, then as far as I know a SWAT team almost anywhere in the U.S. would be more like a last resort if the locals or State law enforcement cant get him to coroperate. But I dont know much about policing tactics, so there isnt much I can say,

But I do know this, SWAT uses a vareity of weapons, and generely dont carry much ammo, why? With all that surprise and fear factor of having a squad full of guys come through a blow out door covered in armor and steel clad helments, I dont know one non Muslim extremists that would try to resist.

But also, I do think that police snipers in some areas , are combined into SWAT in some places, and also in some cities, there is no offical SWAT team, but instead a force equal in equitment and training to a normal SWAT team.

But , in some cases of extreme crisis(large hostage situation, or sucicide, or dangrous gunmen) a CIRT (Critical Incident Responce Team) team can comprise of all kinds of law enforcement officials. And weapons and equitment, especially on different levels.

"sorry if I got a little strayed from the main topic"

Last edited:
But I do know this, SWAT uses a vareity of weapons, and generely dont carry much ammo, why? With all that surprise and fear factor of having a squad full of guys come through a blow out door covered in armor and steel clad helments, I dont know one non Muslim extremists that would try to resist.

Well they don't need much ammo because the battles they engage in are generally short. suspects are often too few in numbers to make the battle carry on for long. And I know of many non-muslims who did resist and sometimes kill or wound a officer or two before going down.

Well, I know one thing, (not that I am) but if I were a criminal, and under that type of pressure, I would just call it quits by the time it got to that type of situation.

Well, I know one thing, (not that I am) but if I were a criminal, and under that type of pressure, I would just call it quits by the time it got to that type of situation.

I would probably fight to the death. I would rather die than go to prison for the rest of my life.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

If I ever became caught in a situtation where SWAT or some foriegn Spec Ops team was hunting me down for some reason. I'd ambush them, and fight to make it out of there. If I become KIA because of those actions. Better for me, I will not surrender to someone and live the rest of my life in some concret cage.

But.....

If I knew that I had a better chance to escape once I was "captured". I'd do it do.

The US Army thought me a couple of things. POW training was one of them. I will not stop fighting until I'm dead. I will make it my number one mission to escape.

Yeah, but I never plan to get into that type of situation, so, I really wont say much about that.

Back