Do we need to risk life for feeling alive?

Solideo

I am not coberst. LOL.

The idea came to me after viewing yesterday last San Fermín celebration where a runner died.

For those who don´t know of it here is the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fermín

Fighting bulls which are gonna figth that evening against toreros (bull fighters) are out running in streets while people in volunteer way run by them. The authorities try to keep away runners they think are not able to run (drunk or drugged). All years are many injured and I think remember this has been the 15th dead by bulls in history.

Links I am gonna post can be offensive for some of you with hard images, so better don´t watch them if you think your sensibility my be offended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWwsRJemmI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQiu5LnkkME

Risk sports are in order in our life, many people comes from all countries to feel adrenaline starting to flow, many other joined special elite corps...it´s difficult to think we need to feel by dead to feel more alive, or why?

Best

Well, I have my own ideas about that:

While I believe all this taking risks is ok when you are young (like Daniel who died), my take changed in life when I had kids, "perdí los cojones" (lost my balls). Another expression for "Discovering responsibilities". Yuo simply find it hard to risk your life when you know someone depends on you (at least that is what you believe).

About the accident: Especially in Pamplona (I ran 33 years ago and was scared to death, almost literally wet my pants though just running behind the bulls after the start) I hear they have really focused on security and improved escape ways, stocked up medics, etc., but, in the end, a tragedy like this is always possible.

Today read comments about how the "filters" have to be enforced more, like taking out drunks, making sure that on the 850 mtrs there are not more people than sensible, get old or incapicated people out, etc., but w/ the exception of the number of people on the track none of those filters would have saved that young runner (who had 10 yrs experience = 80? Bull Runs on his back and had prepared every way possible and sensibly).

My take:

Tradition is fine, and the Bull Runs at Sanfermines is one of the best known Spanish Traditions world wide, but there would be ways to reduce risk drastically without taking out the adrenaline rush, seriously:

- Why not tape (or protect with some plastic balls) the points of the bulls horns?

For my Adrenaline level being hit by 500+kgs heavily when on the ground and other bulls stampeded over me would definitely be sufficient to qualify as risk, broken bones, pneumothorax, multiple contusions (and even with such measures still possible death) would make sure of that, no need to *actually* leave it to luck wheter I will end up dead or not (NOTE: For me that does not matter, dead is dead; but there are always the families, friends, lovers etc that suffer, ike his family who had to go to identify the runner yesterday - on a hunch, having heard about the accident on radio and having recognized some similarities of the guy described with their son).

A an example along the same lines: In fencing we also (all tradition, no?) do not use original floretts anymore, they have a small ball on the pointy end to avoid fatal injuries.

I am sure the traditionalists and purists will cringe and go mad on such an idea, but: Is the life of a 27 years old who *is not* a torero (let them face the pointed ends allright) not worth the difference?

Just thinking aloud,

Comments much appreciated,

Rattler

Last edited:
One person I know who routinely risks his life for no reward other than adrenaline has confessed to having a death wish. The other defies explanation. He's either extremely stupid or entirely fearless. If I were him I'd be making money putting on shows, he risks his life on a superbike on a daily basis anyways.

Personally, adrenaline doesn't do too much for me. Such activities generally seem either extremely stupid or pointless to me. When I have been in life-threatening situations I was never really scared. I live by the words "Whatever happens, happens." I fear pain far more than death.

[edit] This would almost certainly change if I had people I love depending on me. [/edit]

Last edited:
Its the love for what you love doing...whether it's a sport, hobby, job, or person.....It's even more complicated when its part of one's culture....in this case it's the love and ties our Hispanic culture, and traditions have with the "Corrida de Toros" "Running of Bulls"....This dangerous, yet respectful sport and tradition motivate our people and culture to risk anything even their lives for the love of what they believe represents "our" people..Regardless of what other folks might believe on such subject...what matters here is that the person participating in such events is happy, satisfied, and content doing so...and most importantly...entertaining and keeping the culture "alive"...

Yeahh, it´s some kind of culture traditions. But much more on demand each years. Most of people live boring lives, sitting in front a PC, behind a desk or whatever. The aderenaline we suffer is just provocated by bosses and stress. This kind of adrenaline I think gives the person some new sensation, mostly unknown that is pleasant after passing the fear.

Of course it all depends on people, most only risk their lives when nobody depends on them (sons, wives...). Many of my friends fo for inyernational missions everyyear, when we where 20 we loved the fight experience, the para jumping, etc. Now most them married, with sons begin to hate to go out risking their lives yearly and leaving their families ( I dont know if this is relationed with honns. LOL)

Cheers

Yeahh, it´s some kind of culture traditions. But much more on demand each years. Most of people live boring lives, sitting in front a PC, behind a desk or whatever. The aderenaline we suffer is just provocated by bosses and stress. This kind of adrenaline I think gives the person some new sensation, mostly unknown that is pleasant after passing the fear.

Of course it all depends on people, most only risk their lives when nobody depends on them (sons, wives...). Many of my friends fo for inyernational missions everyyear, when we where 20 we loved the fight experience, the para jumping, etc. Now most them married, with sons begin to hate to go out risking their lives yearly and leaving their families ( I dont know if this is relationed with honns. LOL)

Cheers

LOL...We're both hispanic...we both agree, because we know how our culture works......lol.:santam16:

Last edited:
Back