Watches Used by various Army

My advice is not to spend too much money on your watch. Get one that's reliable and that if it breaks or gets lost or stolen, it'll be no big deal to replace. If you get a cheap one nobody'll want to steal it anyway but it'll do the job. 5.56 has the right idea. I'd hate to tell you how many watches I've left on the fields around the world. I never felt really bad about losing any of them.

A watch is nothing but a watch. Get a good well built watch for a good price. You don't need some James bond Uber Tactical Watch. That just all marketing hype. My little timex watch is still with me due to dumb luck. I've lost so many watches I don't even know where to begin. What I do know is this. One of my many grandmothers (I have something like seven. I'll explain later) gave me a really nice Nike Ditigal Watch that cost around $100.00 USA. I lost it during a FTX at Fort Bragg. I got pissed off. Ever since than, I only wear Wal-Mart brand watches.

Luis (5.56X45MM)

PS - My friends famlies consider me family. So their grand parents are mine. It's a cuban thing.

5.56X45mm said:
A watch is nothing but a watch. Get a good well built watch for a good price. You don't need some James bond Uber Tactical Watch. That just all marketing hype. My little timex watch is still with me due to dumb luck. I've lost so many watches I don't even know where to begin. What I do know is this. One of my many grandmothers (I have something like seven. I'll explain later) gave me a really nice Nike Ditigal Watch that cost around $100.00 USA. I lost it during a FTX at Fort Bragg. I got pissed off. Ever since than, I only wear Wal-Mart brand watches.

Luis (5.56X45MM)

PS - My friends famlies consider me family. So their grand parents are mine. It's a cuban thing.

Same here, get the cheapie's. $11, but is really durable.

zander_0633 said:
hah, wad about those sold in the Army?

Well, I don't know what exact watch the U.S. Army issue's but any private can go to the PX/BX while on leave and buy any watch he likes.

My father has a nice digital with a wrap around band just like mine, but he only has it because he isn't in the field as often as he was, he used an old analog like mine when he was.

Pass the expensive stuff on to your Grandkids. Almost all watches are 100 times better than they were in the `70s and earlier. They're like pocket calculators, very cheap and very good no matter who makes them.

Yes, but choose it carefully...

Do you want a digital or an analog watch? Digital is better for stopping times, analog watches can help you to navigate if you loose everthing else... (If you´re smart you choose one which has both)

If you navigate alot with a compass try first if your watch diverts the compass (some watches change the adjustment of the needle by approximately 5').

But beside that, every watch will do the job.

Well, generally, a watch with digital and analouge settings works the best? What about cheap Rolex and Tissot? I can get them for S$20. Brand new ---- Only that they are imitations. Are they good?

> ok! Thanks! From most of them, they say buy diver's watch is the best! And also watch with Cloth straps are the best!

the best watch is the cheapest one There are some digital wacthes that are very cheap.

That´s because if you want to go abroad or to exercises is easy to broke a wach. I have used all kind of watches and broke all kind of watches

Although it is no doubt out of the "affordable" range for many, I believe that the optima wristwatch for any purpose would be the Rolex Submariner in stainless steel. I believe they run about $3,800.00 now. The timepiece is very durable with a virtually unscratchable cultured corundum (sapphire) lens and it operates perpetually, thus, never needing to be wound except when it is idled for too long. It is also waterproof and the standard model can withstand pressure up to 300 meters. There is another model which doesn't have a magnifying oracle over the date display that will withstand pressure to 1000 meters. The face is available in either royal blue or black with a matching and fully functional dive timer bezel. The numbers and the terminus in the dive timer are all treated with a glow-in-the-dark material so that it is visible at night. This feature may possibly make it undesireable for night ops but that decision would have to be considered by the individual makint the purchase. I have owned one of these watches ad can attest to it's durability and functionality. There is simply no better quality timepiece on the market.

Back