Want to make a career but need help choosing what branch would fit me best. PLEASE HE

USAonly

I have been out of college for a little over 3 years and currently working as a financial advisor for a good size firm and doing well. Over these last few years I have had a calling to join the armed forces and give back to my country and join the military. Becoming an officer the MOS I was most interested in would be Intelligence or Financial Management coming from my back ground. (Would I be able to select this as a 2ndLT?)

The two branches I am looking at are the Marines and Army. I am leaning a little more towards the Marines but still have a open heart for the Army. The Marines attract me because of their "hardcore attitude" being in good physical shape and discipline. While the Army may seem to have some better perks in funding, technology and have the ability to get promoted faster?

Looking at my two MOS's what branch do you think will be a better fit for me to build a career on. Marines or Army?
Thanks
-Ryan

I am a retired Army Intelligence Analysis. Although it has been 20 years since I retired I believe you are correct that promotion will come faster in the Army than the Marines. Also, by virtue of being the much larger service, you will have a greater verity of assignment locations. All Army units (Battalion and larger) have Intel. Officers assigned.

As to the “hardcore” part, in the Army you can opt for Airborne, Rangers and/or Special Forces.

I also believe that for your Intel. specialty training you will attend an Army School even if you choose the Marines.

[FONT=&quot]"Intelligence is of the essence in warfare - it is what the armies depend upon in their every moves". Sun Tzu Words[/FONT]

I am a retired Army Intelligence Analysis. Although it has been 20 years since I retired I believe you are correct that promotion will come faster in the Army than the Marines. Also, by virtue of being the much larger service, you will have a greater verity of assignment locations. All Army units (Battalion and larger) have Intel. Officers assigned.

As to the “hardcore” part, in the Army you can opt for Airborne, Rangers and/or Special Forces.

I also believe that for your Intel. specialty training you will attend an Army School even if you choose the Marines.

[FONT=&quot]"Intelligence is of the essence in warfare - it is what the armies depend upon in their every moves". Sun Tzu Words[/FONT]

Thanks for quick response. That is interesting that you go to army school even if you go marines. :m16:

Please understand, I'm not trying to demean the USMC in any way, I am trying to be objective.

As I said, the Army is numerically much larger than the USMC and many of their job skills overlap or are very similar (despite what the USMC propogates, a Rifleman is a Rifleman, no matter the branch of service). It is not cost effective for the USMC to operate schools (themselves) that already exist in the Army (or the Navy or Air Force) so they send their members to these (existing) training facilities.

Also, by the way, Officers do not have Military Occupation Specialties (MOS’s) (at least when I was serving)- they have “Career Fields”. Intelligence is a Career Field. Although many officers start as Enlisted and may have one or more MOS’s.

Airborne and Rangers are “Additional Skill Identifiers”, these soldiers have MOS’s and can serve in any Army Unit, not just Airborne or Ranger units. Special Forces, however, is a Career Field and MOS, and they, too can serve in any Army unit.

The necessity of procuring good intelligence is apparent and need not be further urged. Gen G. Washington, CiC Continental Army 26 July 1777

As a Marine, I obviously have a very heavy Marine bias. If you're more for traditions, discipline, warfighting spirit, the mystique of "The Title," having those panty wetting dress blues and all that mess, then by all means, go Marine Corps.

If you have a family, join the Army. Please. You will promote much faster, have a much wider pick of duty stations, and you're much less likely to come away with psycological issues.

Semper Fidelis either way.

Hey now! We (the Army) have Dress Blues too.
But your point is well made.

HOW TO BECOME A GERERAL:
Its only a step from Corporal to General. Seven years as a Corporal, eight as a Sergeant, ten as a Lieutenant, fifteen as Captain, eighteen as Colonel and then the goal is in Sight.
1926 Silent film TELL IT TO THE MARINES

Back