VIP's to any ship

We had a typical "dirt bag" type guy in the deck division. I'll use the name LIpschitz to protect the guy from being ratted out if he is still with us.

I was the POOW on one of the ships I served on. The guy that I relieved received a call that Admiral Glass was coming to visit SN Lipshitz. He told the OOD about the call and he called the Deck Division Officer to come up to the Quarter Deck. When we took over the watch we were told to watch for an Admiral coming to the ship, he would be there around 1700. At 1645 SN Lipshitz showed up in his dress uniform, the C.O., X.O. and the CDO were all standing tall on the fantail waiting. A couple of minutes before 1700 a truck turns onto the pier and stops at our brow (gangplank). On the side of his truck was a sign "Admiral Glass". The guy was there to change the guy's windshield! Lipshitz knew he was coming but was vacant between the ears when the DivO told him that an Admiral was coming to visit.

I was able to keep a straight face until they dismissed Lipschitz and the whole group on the fantail lost it. The catch phrase after that was "Keep a keen eye out for Admiral Glass!"

thank you military intelligence :). our tax dollars at work :)

Both of the stories I posted happened in the early to mid 70's. That was before the days of our current military intelligence, back then we just were smarter than the enemy. ( and depending on your service, than the other guys! Navy>Marines>Army>Air Force)

I tried to submit my stories again via the internet. This time they were truncated due to the requirement of having only 100 words or 1000 characters max in them.

I can't win for losing with RD. I think they have missed on some pretty good stories due to their limit.

The bad thing is that I know I've read longer stories in their humor sections than 100 words.

Now I've done it!! I sent a semi-sarcastic letter to RD asking them if they knew of another publication that wanted some really humorous and true military stories.

I'be been a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Senior Chief!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back