Vids and the real world

Donkey

So I was reading this article about one of Rockstar's newest games, Rockstar is the maker of Grand Theft Auto, which like many of Rockstars titles is controversial.

The game is called "Bully" and it's for the PS2 as you could imagine it deals with being a kid in high school and having to deal with all the crap that goes along with it, in a open free flowing Rockstar way of course. To me, like most things, people blew this game way out of proportion before they even knew anything about it. From what I have read it really isn’t all that bad of a game and in fact it might have an educational value.

But furthermore I would like to ponder the question of video games and how they relate to society. I have been playing vids since I was a kid first learning to program in Basic on a TI99/4A home computer system (didn’t date myself or anything) and well I like to think I turned out ok. I mean I played wolf 3d and doom at age that would probably not be allowed by today’s ESRB rating system. Albeit that my pops wouldn’t let me get certain games that where "to violent", but ah-ha there is the key my parents where still involved in what I did.

We all know that after playing a couple hours of Grand Theft Auto you kind of have an urge to do bad things but being old and mature enough you don’t, you realize the difference between fiction and non-fiction. You understand that it is just a game that doing this in the real world, as fun a it may be, would have serious consequences.

I say it isn’t TV, movies, or video games but it is a greater disassociation with today’s kids and their parents. In all it isn’t a general not knowing it’s a not taking the time to figure it out problem, thus why you see a grandma getting GTA San Andreas for her 10 year old grandson.

Here is the "Bully" article
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15379992/

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Back