September 23rd, 2005  
phoenix80

Should we bomb Israel for this then?
September 23rd, 2005  
03USMC

No I'm not saying that. I'm just saying I don't buy their story
September 24th, 2005  
Damien435

I would have no trouble believing this was an accident if this was one or two strafing attacks by Israeli jets, but a sustained attack lasting hours with attacks by fast attack craft, jets, torpedo boats and two attempts to board the ship? I don't think so, especially not after the sailors put up an oversized American flag and the Israelis shot it up, again.
--
September 24th, 2005  
Whispering Death

The history channel program on this was amazing. I was so amazed it is the only history channel program I actually own on videotape.

On it they talk about how it was front page news on day 1, third page news on day 2, burried at page fifteen on day 3, and nowhere to be seen ever again by day 4... quite odd don't you think?

The ship the israeli's supposedly mistook the Liberty for was four times the size, looked completely different, and was known to have been anchored hundreds of miles away by Israli intelligence at the time.

The captain of the ship was awarded one of the highest awards in the Navy... awarded to him in a backroom or a secure naval base with only him and a naval secretary in it. This kind of honor is normally awarded by an admiral in a full ceremony comemorating the event.

It is an odd odd incident and is really a sore point in my opinion of the Isralis. Honsetly! Most of the time I think "let the palestinians have it" but any time people bring up that even $.01 US dollar goes to help Israel all I can think about is the American servicemen that Israel killed and wounded on that ship.
September 24th, 2005  
phoenix80

Was the ship spying on Israeli war efforts?
September 24th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_aim54
Sorta' depends on how you define 'spying'.

It was an intelligence ship sitting in international waters picking up Israeli transmissions in order to give our generals and president a clear picture what was going on on the ground. The kind of thing our ships, land stations, and satelites do to every country on the globe.
September 24th, 2005  
Damien435

[quote="Whispering Death"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_aim54
It was just monitoring the progress of the war, not spying on one side in particular, trying to give the Pentagon updates on the war as soon as possible.
May 20th, 2009  
Michealjones

Israel's jets fired indiscriminately....it is was a planned move and not a reaction to the US warship's patrolling. Israel should first mend its ways if it expects peaceful solutions with neighbouring countries.
May 20th, 2009  
KJ

Rumor was among the secret squrrel guys that it was done on purpose to keep the americans in the dark about how far the ground war had taken the Israeli troops.
The fear was that the americans would preasure Israel to cancel ground action before the Israelis had reached their objectives.

Lets face it, Israel doesn´t to a whole lot without the support of the US.
June 4th, 2009  
Draconian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McGonagle

The ship's commander received the Medal of Honor, given to him by SecNav instead of the President as it is supposed to.