USMC "Volunteers"

--

March 17th, 2004  
Redneck

Topic: USMC "Volunteers"

I posted this in a different topic, but thought you all might enjoy it, so here it is again:

In Vietnam, my Dad (who was USAF) was in a room full of draftees and recruits and this man in civvies walks in and asks, "Who here wants to be in the Navy?"
Since the Navy was supposed to be the safest duty, half the room stands up and this man takes down their names and then says, "Welcome to the Naval Infantry, boys!" and walks out, having gotten twenty something new Marine volunteers.
March 17th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Haha thats great. Sux for them, but thats great.
March 17th, 2004  
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

Thats what you get for not asking what exzctly you are volunteering for...
--
March 18th, 2004  
Jamoni

That's what you get for volunteering.
I volunteered the fact that I ran cross country in high school. That orange vest and pointy flashlight were the height of fashion
March 18th, 2004  
Redneck

Same thing happened to me at LTC at Ft Knox, man that was fun during roadmarches, sprinting full out with a rubber duck and ruck. Let's you know you're alive . Although I also got to carry the CLS bag and feel important when they found out I had some EMS training.
March 18th, 2004  
Jamoni

I took basic at Ft. Jackson in the winter. Ever try sprinting to the front of the column, fully loaded, in SAND and SNOW?
March 18th, 2004  
Redneck

Ouch. We do ruck runs on the beach down here, and I've run cross country races in the snow but not both at the same time, sounds fun though.
March 18th, 2004  
Jamoni

Well, there wasn't MUCH snow, but it was darn cold! It's funny that, in an all volunteer military, the first thing you learn is never volunteer. If that's not military intelligence, I don't know what is.
March 21st, 2004  
samirine

Oh so true! And the other rule is: if it's your idea you just volunteered for it.
April 11th, 2004  
Raider Girl

lol, thats funny, i gotta tell me sergeant majors that, lol he doesntlike the marines