Urban Battle Tank

--

April 10th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Topic: Urban Battle Tank

I want to hear your ideas for what a tank that is meant only to operate in urban conditions should be like. What roles should it fill that modern MBTs and APCs are not filling, or not filling adequately? What kind of weight, armor, and armament should it have? This is a right-brained discussion.
April 10th, 2005  
cPFC/SAJROTC

Well, firstly, it would need to be maneuverable, because current locations in the middle east have very tight spaces in which to put a tank.

-The tank body itself would have to be reasonably thin width wise so as to be able to fit into some of the tighter spaces of cities that dont suffer Urban Sprawl.

-It needs good armor all around, (top, bottom, left/right, front/back) to repel IEDs, RPGs, and other fire.

-The vehicle should be properly equipped to put down resistance, whether Infantry, or Armor. Easiest way (as I see it), is to take a hint from some prior vehicles, and give the tank a TOW launcher, and a anti-personnel, high-caliber weapon, such as a .50 caliber machine gun, and perhaps a MK-19 grenade launcher for long range, area suppression (such as mobs, or to deal with attackers hiding in structures deemed too important to knock down entirely or when TACAIR is not an option).

-And one of the most important functions of an APC, it should be able to quickly, and safely (safely being a relative word, since, hey, it's war) to the front lines, provide suppressing cover fire with it's weaponry, and then continue to cover their advance as needed, or to get clear so that other vehicles can deploy their teams. I'd guess that each vehicle should ideally transport between 6-10 men + weapons, armor and other battle gear semi-comfortably.
April 10th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Whoops, no, let me make this a quick clarification here. The urban battle tank WILL NOT carry infantry. It isn't an APC, it's job is to, perhaps, take the job of the MBT in MOUT away from the MBT. In fact, I'm still not exactly sure what the mission profile of this theoretical Urban Battle Tank is, but it isn't an APC since the current generations of APCs like the Bradleys are doing a fine job.

What I do know is that lightly armored HUMVEEs and MBTs are the square pegs being forced into the round hole of MOUT combat. In short, there are needs that current arms where not designed to meet, so what can we do to envision a new class of tank that will meet those needs?
--
April 10th, 2005  
Shadowalker

Well if anything its probably got to be heavier armoured than present tanks as top and rear need strengthening as well as having armour protecting from mines underneath.
Weapons fit, i cant see a need for a 120mm gun, helicopters and warplanes can be used to destroy buildings. So having a weapons fit with, .50 machine gun, Mk 19 grenage launcher, Tow/MILAN launcher, to give good anti-infantry firepower.
Size wise, it needs to be smaller, maybe having it the size of small tank, such as the british stormer/scimitar. Though due to excess armour it would likely have to be bigger.
The main role for it probably would be infantry support in urban areas, it doesnt need to have a large anti-vehicle arnament as not many heavy vehicles can fit into urban areas, and there is always attack helicopters/planes to take them out. Possibly having the weapons fit, remotely controlled from inside the vehicle so that the person operating does not need to be exposed, especially in high rise areas.
April 10th, 2005  
Snauhi

I bet this will be pretty good

April 10th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Whoops, no, let me make this a quick clarification here. The urban battle tank WILL NOT carry infantry. It isn't an APC, it's job is to, perhaps, take the job of the MBT in MOUT away from the MBT. In fact, I'm still not exactly sure what the mission profile of this theoretical Urban Battle Tank is, but it isn't an APC since the current generations of APCs like the Bradleys are doing a fine job.

What I do know is that lightly armored HUMVEEs and MBTs are the square pegs being forced into the round hole of MOUT combat. In short, there are needs that current arms where not designed to meet, so what can we do to envision a new class of tank that will meet those needs?
Oddly enough I think modifying the Bradley a bit and you would have the ideal UBT.
April 10th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi
I bet this will be pretty good

I have to admit it looks the part.
April 10th, 2005  
beardo

I dont see why tanks etc dont still use the rpg nets, like on the old Britsh ''Tin Can'' used in Ireland
April 10th, 2005  
rocco

merkava 4...
April 10th, 2005  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco
merkava 4...
yea or just that