Unusual facts of WW11

--

August 31st, 2010  
koalaburger

Topic: Unusual facts of WW11

Most people don't realise how much the germans relied on horses in WW11. It was not all tanks and trucks as shown in films. I also learned recently that Himmler had either a regiment or division of Muslims as SS troops. He liked their lack of fear of death due to their religion.

Anyone else got not so well know facts of interest about WW11??
August 31st, 2010  
Micha

http://members.iinet.net.au/~gduncan/1941.html

Take a look!
August 31st, 2010  
koalaburger

Micha you are on my Xmas card list.
--
September 2nd, 2010  
muscogeemike

There was a volunteer French Division in the SS, a large number of Scandinavians and Spaniards voluntarily served in the German Military, as did a number of Americans (even in the SS). The French
Commander of Indochina actively collaborated with the Japanese.
September 3rd, 2010  
lljadw

the fighting value of the french fivision (Charlemagne) was neglectable
September 7th, 2010  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
the fighting value of the french fivision (Charlemagne) was neglectable
I disagree, while the division would not be regarded as an elite formation it acquitted itself well in action and I know of no instances where they did not perform as well as could be expected.
September 8th, 2010  
koalaburger

What I have read agrees with you Monty. The French unit received quiet a few Iron Crosses and other awards.
September 12th, 2010  
lljadw

in february 1945,the strength of the Carlemagne was 7240,in april less than thousand?
September 12th, 2010  
Mark Conley

well...most people dont know that pearl harbor was attcked by the japaneese by air...twice!

december 7, 1941 and
in june, 1942 (this one wasnt as showy as the first)...
September 12th, 2010  
Mark Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
in february 1945,the strength of the Carlemagne was 7240,in april less than thousand?
when the cut came down in france...the division decided if they had to die they would go out against the russians trying to take berlin

for whatever the reason...they took a lot of soldiers with them. they were soldiers indeed.