Unidentified drone crashes in Iran

phoenix80

Banned
Unidentified drone crashes in Iran

Reuters
28 August 2005

TEHERAN - An unmanned drone aircraft has crashed into mountains in the central Iranian province of Lorestan, an Interior Ministry official said on Sunday, but it was unclear where it came from.

We have not yet identified it, a ministry spokesman said.

Drones have been the subject of feverish media speculation in Iran, with commentators asking if the United States would use them to spy on Iran after U.S. forces employed them in Afghanistan.

Most of the key sites of Iran's disputed nuclear programme lie in the centre of the country. Washington accuses Iran of seeking nuclear arms, a charge Teheran denies.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Display...dleeast_August817.xml&section=middleeast&col=

Fairly out of course I'd say if it came from a mission in Iraq... They risk to escalate the entire situation in the Persian Gulf region for the peepshows of Iran...

But that is perhaps what the US wants in the long term - to start another war?

The article says they can't identify where it came from. I would doubt that a drone for a large surveillance area would be practical when we already can count their shirt buttons with varied orbit satellites.

er....sovereign airspace?

i bet you would be hootin' & hollerin' if there were drones over the US

Id be angry, but then again they have all the right to be angry and if we have a drone in there terriotry shoot the darn thing down, i dont care. Just as we would a drone over our terriotory.

COuld be the UN for all we know. Kofi likes to poke his head into places that he shouldn't be looking into.

Arent there specific windows ot time in which satellites can view a region?

I agree, even if the drone was off course, they risk escalation.

So who controls it now? Do we have it back, or do they have it. Like that incident with the Chinese, where they had our plane? Will they reverse-engineer it?

Spartacus said:
Arent there specific windows ot time in which satellites can view a region?

Not anymore, there are enough in orbit that almost anyplace can be switched from sattelite to sattelite and never miss a frame. Different Countries also have sattelites in orbit. Most share information.

Is there a benefit to drones then? It just seems like overkill to spend a couple million on a spycraft if you can view the area anyway.

Spartacus said:
Is there a benefit to drones then? It just seems like overkill to spend a couple million on a spycraft if you can view the area anyway.

Well, they're cheap and can carry a Hellfire missile, machine gun,or maybe a tactical nuke right into a cave.

soverign air space

The us has the ability (and who knows who else) to overfly other countries without them knowing it. England did the same to Nazi Germany before the war, Germany did it to the USSR, and of course we did it to russia all during the cold war. A drone has some advantages. theoretically it is wrong but. Knowing is always better than uncertainty, that is what causes a war.

Re: soverign air space

masterblaster said:
The us has the ability (and who knows who else) to overfly other countries without them knowing it. England did the same to Nazi Germany before the war, Germany did it to the USSR, and of course we did it to russia all during the cold war. A drone has some advantages. theoretically it is wrong but. Knowing is always better than uncertainty, that is what causes a war.
Right, paradoxically enough, whatever is good for collecting information is good for avoiding a war.

Back