UNDECIDED

nhatrang79

Spoke to three diff recruiters not all are 110%. Please guide me.

1. Why military - money for school to get my masters degree in counseling/education/finance. I'm tire of giving 110% at my job but when the company downsize there's no more ethics. Job security is why, a promising retirement nest, travel, goal oriented occupation.
  2. Profile - single, no dependent, BAS Int'l Business, no debt, speaks a 2nd language, 4'11, w/b 31 8/2010, female, ARMY JROTC in high school, worked at an investment company and bank and currently an academic advisor (sales)
  3. What are the pros and cons of joining - air force ntl grd (as i'm too old for the active airforce), active duty army or army nt'l grd. air force b/c - better living condition per research better civilian job oppt.. army - not too old to get 100% benefit, relative to my jrotc in high school, no swimming test, (i don't like being in the water), I don't like flying, i don't want to be stuck in a submarine (i'm scare of small space ex: coffin space). army nt'l grd - double dipping: partial military pay with civilian fulltime job.
  4. how do shorten basic training - i found that you can work your training schedule to shorten the days, really?
  5. Can I bring a long my calcium vitamins to BT? What if i need to see a chiropractor during BT? Can i bring extra gel cushion for the military boots? Can I bring my own running shoes as I normally wear 6.5 wide. Does the military provide wide shoes?
  6. OCS or Enlisted? Full-time or part-time military? AirForce or Army. Is the OCS requirements ridiculous for airforce?
  7. With this facts - can some one please advise me accordingly
thank you,

Last edited:
[*]What are the pros and cons of joining - air force ntl grd (as i'm too old for the active airforce), active duty army or army nt'l grd. air force b/c - better living condition per research better civilian job oppt.. army - not too old to get 100% benefit, relative to my jrotc in high school, no swimming test, (i don't like being in the water), I don't like flying, i don't want to be stuck in a submarine (i'm scare of small space ex: coffin space). army nt'l grd - double dipping: partial military pay with civilian fulltime job.

You mentioned the Army has no swim test, there is no swim test for the Air Force either. They Army used to make recruits do a swim survival test, basically jump from a platform and utilize your equipment to help you keep afloat. I don't know if they're still doing this in basic or not.

Army or Air Force, you may have to fly in a military plane at some point to get to a destination.

What you will be doing in either service will greatly depend on the job you choose. I would recommend finding the job you want first, that will help you narrow your choices. With the Guard/Reserves, there isn't always an availability for careers and you are also limited to those careers offered at the units local to you, unless of course you want to fly to drill every month.

[*]how do shorten basic training - i found that you can work your training schedule to shorten the days, really?

You don't shorten basic training. Nor should you want to. You need to learn to be a Soldier or an Airman before you can do anything else. The training schedule at basic training will be set for you. You will have no freedom.

[*]Can I bring a long my calcium vitamins to BT? What if i need to see a chiropractor during BT? Can i bring extra gel cushion for the military boots? Can I bring my own running shoes as I normally wear 6.5 wide. Does the military provide wide shoes?

You can bring vitamins. If you need to see a medical professional you will attend sick call and the military will see to your treatment. This isn't the civilian world, they aren't going to let you see a chiro to get the kinks out. You'll have to suck it up.

You can bring inserts for your boots as well as running shoes as long as they aren't flashy. The military will provide you a pair but if they cannot accommodate your foot size, they will make a special allowance for you to use your regular shoes.

[*]OCS or Enlisted? Full-time or part-time military? AirForce or Army. Is the OCS requirements ridiculous for airforce?

It depends on what you want to do. No one can advise you on what route to take. Do you wish to give up years of your life in service to your country? It's not all sacrifice, there are many benefits but you will also lose some freedoms you currently have. If not, you should look at the reserves.

Air Force or Army, what lifestyle do you want? What career do you want?

Both OTS (Air Force) and OCS (Army) require about the same. The Air Force looks more heavily at your degree and what it is in.

Air Force OTS

If I were you, I would go through enlisted and officer jobs for both the Army and Air Force. Find the ones that interest you most, research them online, and begin narrowing your choices that way.

With the Guard/Reserves, there isn't always an availability for careers and you are also limited to those careers offered at the units local to you, unless of course you want to fly to drill every month.

To expand on the above. Unless you have an MOS or skill set needed at a certain unit not in your area you will need to get approval from higher. In the Guard you cannot leave the state ....except for certain units .

To expand on the above. Unless you have an MOS or skill set needed at a certain unit not in your area you will need to get approval from higher. In the Guard you cannot leave the state ....except for certain units .
And that of course goes for both the Air Force National Guard & the Army National Guard. The Governor of the state is your Commander in Chief along with POTUS of course.

I have several young friends in the USAF who admit they're ashamed that they live so good as compared to the USMC & the Army. There biggest set back is when the air conditioning stops working for a few minutes if you listen to them tell it. I can see where that could ruin your whole day!

I think I would have borne the shame myself.:eek:

Bear in mind that all of the Armed Forces have their hardcore units - AF PJs, Navy SEALS, Coast Guard Rescue men, Marine Force Recon, Army Rangers & SF. You can make it as tough as you want IF you qualify.

I don't know about Army Guard (I imagine it's similar since they're both under the same command overall) but Air Guard, you can find a unit that has the job you want. If it's in NJ and you live in NC, you'll have to join the NJ Air Guard. That means you belong to NJ and you'll have to float plane tickets to get to drill every month or plan a drive. But once you are in the NJ Guard, if you want to transfer to another state, you have to file paperwork and get permission.

Bear in mind that all of the Armed Forces have their hardcore units - AF PJs, Navy SEALS, Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers, Marine Force Recon, Army Rangers & SF. You can make it as tough as you want IF you qualify.

One of these things is not like the others. Apples and steak. :p

Last edited:
It's gotta go thru the Guard Bureau in DC in order for you to get tickets floated. Say I'm in the ND ARNG, and I want to drill with a unit in Oklahoma. My HQ in ND has to be convinced as does the Guard Bureau in DC.

It's gotta go thru the Guard Bureau in DC in order for you to get tickets floated. Say I'm in the ND ARNG, and I want to drill with a unit in Oklahoma. My HQ in ND has to be convinced as does the Guard Bureau in DC.

Right, I'm tracking on that. I'm talking about joining the OK ARNG/ANG from the start, even though you live in ND. A lot of our Guard guys are members of Guard states they don't hold residence in. They had the unit / job they wanted, so they joined that state's NG unit instead of their own. You're still paying your own dime for the travel save for the AT orders.

I don't know if that's the same for the ARNG side of the house or not. Do you guys require state residency before you can join a state's NG unit?

Last edited:
Right, I'm tracking on that. I'm talking about joining the OK ARNG/ANG from the start, even though you live in ND. A lot of our Guard guys are members of Guard states they don't hold residence in. They had the unit / job they wanted, so they joined that state's NG unit instead of their own. You're still paying your own dime for the travel save for the AT orders.

Your guys , like most of our NG guys that do the travel gig are the special cases....:thumb:

Back