UK personnel hurt in Cyprus crash -Harrier

rock45

UK personnel hurt in Cyprus crash
Two British military personnel have been injured after they ejected from their Harrier aircraft, which crashed on to a runway in Cyprus.
The crew members were on a training exercise at the Akrotiri base when it is thought the plane caught fire.
They were taken to hospital with "non-life-threatening" injuries, officials said. Next of kin have been informed.
The pair both serve with 20 squadron, a training squadron for navy and RAF crews, based at RAF Wittering, Cambs.
The incident occurred just after 1510 local time (1310 GMT).

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We can confirm that a Harrier aircraft crashed on to the runway at RAF Akrotiri during a training sortie.
"The two personnel on board both ejected safely. An air crash investigation team is being assembled, and their investigation will determine the facts.
"It would be inappropriate to speculate on the cause of the incident."
The Ministry of Defence was unable to confirm whether the personnel were from the RAF or Royal Navy.
Akrotiri airfield opened in 1956 and is a permanent base for 84 Squadron, which performs search-and-rescue duties as well as supporting UN peacekeeping forces on the island.
The airfield is also used as a staging post for transport aircraft as well as for training.
The Red Arrows display team also practises at the base from late March each year.

Link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7879658.stm

As an aside, 20 Squadron operated Hawker Hunters at RAF Tengah Singapore during my time there.

During the period of Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation, the RAF deployed 74 Squadron with its English Electric Lightning F6s followed by 20 Squadron and its Hawker Hunter fighter aircraft to the air base to help bolster the air defense of Singapore and Peninsula Malaysia against air incursions from P-51 Mustangs of the Indonesian Air Force.

I was unaware however, that 20 Squadron operated Harriers.

Didn't know

Hi BritinAfrica

During the period of Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation, the RAF deployed 74 Squadron with its English Electric Lightning F6s followed by 20 Squadron and its Hawker Hunter fighter aircraft to the air base to help bolster the air defense of Singapore and Peninsula Malaysia against air incursions from P-51 Mustangs of the Indonesian Air Force.
Sorry for asking such a big favor but can you describe this war/conflict I know nothing about it. Indonesian Air Force were flying the P-51 Mustangs are were they D models?

Were there any air to air kills? Did the prop jobs score any jet kills?

Thanks

There fight in Malaya was against Chinese terrorist backed by China, the war against Indonesia was when they tried to take over Brunei

Fighting

Thanks LeEnfield
When you mentioned "There fight in Malaya was against Chinese terrorist backed by China" my brain snapped back on.

Would be interested in knowing what took place on the aviation side I'll do some searching on it.

Thanks

Hi BritinAfrica

Sorry for asking such a big favor but can you describe this war/conflict I know nothing about it. Indonesian Air Force were flying the P-51 Mustangs are were they D models?

Were there any air to air kills? Did the prop jobs score any jet kills?

Thanks

This conflict was a bit complicated as it involved a number of different states. Singapore was part of the Malayasia federation, which also had territory in Borneo (see what I mean?). This war not only involved Britain, but Australia, New Zealand and Canada. It also spread to the Malayan mainland as well as Singapore island.

April -August 1963
The Indonesian Confrontation: following an unsuccessful attempt to depose the Sultan of Brunei on 8 December 1962, President Soekarno of Indonesia, driven by the desire to unite Malaya, the Phillipines and Indonesia within an Indonesian empire, begins to support insurgents in attacks across the 970 mile border between Kalimantan, Sarawak and Sabah on the island of Borneo. Between the declaration of the Federation of Malaysia on 16 September 1963 and 1966, Indonesian insurgents and troops were also inserted into Singapore and Malaya by Lockheed Hercules of the Indonesian Air Force (AURI).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia-Malaysia_confrontation#1963

This conflict finished in 1966, I didnt arrive in the Far East until a year later. As far as I am aware, no RAF jets were shot down by Mustangs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Tengah

Malayan Emergency

During the Malayan Emergency, Tengah was used to house Avro Lincolns of the Royal Air Force and Royal Australian Air Force which performed bombing missions on communist guerrillas. In 1954 the Royal Air Force was re-equipped with Venom FB4's and Vampire T11's of 60 Squadron and was joined by 14 Squadron of the Royal New Zealand Air Force. In 1958 they were joined by 45 Squadron RAF and 75 Squadron RNZAF, with Canberra B.2. The Royal Australian Air Force retained their Lincolns with No 1(B) Bomber squadron until the end of the emergency.

Konfrontasi

During the period of Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation, the RAF deployed 74 Squadron with its English Electric Lightning F6s followed by 20 Squadron with its Hawker Hunter fighter aircraft in addition to the Gloster Javelins of 60 Squadron and 64 Squadron, to the air base to help bolster the air defense of Singapore and Peninsula Malaysia against air incursions from P-51 Mustangs and MiG-21s of the Indonesian Air Force (TNI-AU).
In 1964, an Indonesian Air Force C-130 Hercules crashed while trying to evade interception by a Javelin of 60 Squadron. On 30 April 1968, the Gloster Javelins of 60 Squadron flew their last RAF operational sorties from Tengah and the squadron was disbanded the same day.
As a show of force to deter Indonesia during this period, the RAF also deployed a medium bomber force detachment to Tengah in the form of Victor B.1A bombers from 15 Squadron in August 1963, which was rotated with those dispersed to RAAF Butterworth (Malaysia). The detachment of Victor bombers was replaced in October 1964 by a detachment of Vulcan B.1A bombers from 12 Squadron, these were subsequently pull back to RAF Akrotiri in December that same year for reasons unknown. In August 1965, 9 Squadron resumed RAF's Vulcan bomber detachment to Tengah, followed by 35 Squadron in December 1965, these were in turn replaced by 9 Squadron again in February 1966. After June 1966, 9 Squadron returned to Akrotiri following the end of the confrontation.

After 1966, there were minor incidents in Malaya and Singapore, which were rapidly put down by local forces. Rarely were British forces involved.

Last edited:
Back