UAVs

--

October 18th, 2011  
eTe

Topic: UAVs

Saw a bit of a TV show on a couple nights ago.
It was about the UAVs in use in the middle east, and how effective they are becoming.
It was about the pilots that flew them from a base in Nevada, in shifts.

The technology in them, picking up the heat from a recently fired rifle being carried by militants who just ambushed a patrol, and using that to fire a missile accurately all the whole being 2 miles high in the sky (from memory.
Pretty amazing.
They reckoned in the future all the planes will be pilotless.
October 20th, 2011  
84RFK

Nah, I don't think so...

I mean, we've seen the War to end all wars, the weapon to end all wars, and now the UAV will end all wars?

Only untill some other alternative comes up, countermeassures are found, or the number of collateral damage get's too high.
October 31st, 2011  
BritinAfrica

What I cannot get my head around, RAF pilots based in the US near Las Vagas are flying UAV's in Afganistan.
--
October 31st, 2011  
VDKMS

The start of robo-warfare.
November 1st, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
The start of robo-warfare.
The mind boggles. Its scary.
November 2nd, 2011  
Spartan613

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTe
They reckoned in the future all the planes will be pilotless.
Not while pilots still run Air Forces.
November 2nd, 2011  
eTe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan613
Not while pilots still run Air Forces.
Hopefully. Would have loved to be a pilot. And I can't imagine most of the pilots wanting to give up real cockpits.
November 4th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTe
Hopefully. Would have loved to be a pilot. And I can't imagine most of the pilots wanting to give up real cockpits.
I really don't see UAV's taking over from manned aircraft.

If you want to be a pilot, go for it mate and good luck to you.

A buddy of my son who has a pilots licence who offered to teach my son to fly, my son declined. At times I feel like hitting him over the head with the biggest hammer I can find
November 4th, 2011  
eTe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
A buddy of my son who has a pilots licence who offered to teach my son to fly, my son declined. At times I feel like hitting him over the head with the biggest hammer I can find
Oh wow why would he do that... I'd do dark things for that opportunity.
But nah I wanted to be a jet pilot back in high school. Wasn't motivated enough to get the grades.
Today, I think I've said it before but I'm training for something else, hoping to be ready in a bit over a years time.
November 4th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTe
Oh wow why would he do that... I'd do dark things for that opportunity.
My son reckoned he wasn't interested in civilian aircraft. I wish I had that opportunity when I was his age, I'd have jumped at the chance even flying civi aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTe
But nah I wanted to be a jet pilot back in high school. Wasn't motivated enough to get the grades.
Its a pity you didn't get the grades. I was talking to an ex RAF pilot who did 22 years and then another 18 years flying for the South African Air Force. He started off as a RAF Master Pilot (Warrant Officer) flying Mk 18 Spitfires, got his commission then onto jets. He said and I quote, "Flying was never a job, it was a fantastic paid hobby."

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTe
Today, I think I've said it before but I'm training for something else, hoping to be ready in a bit over a years time.
Whatever your going for, good luck. Train and train hard, the rewards will make all the pain worthwhile.