The U.S dropped the bombs on two cities of Japan because of a wrong translation. - Page 3




 
--
 
September 6th, 2006  
Chief Bones
 
 

b16
I have to disagree with you but only in a minor way. You 'hinted' that the Japanese were ignorant of America's mentality, goals, ways of life, etc. and that wasn't quite completely true.

When informed of the diplomatic blunder of the attack taking place PRIOR to the "Declaration of War" being delivered and that the Aircraft Carriers were NOT destroyed, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (architect of the attack on Pearl Harbor), was reputed to have said "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve". His understanding of America and America's reaction to a sneak attack were very clearly understood. He was also supposed to have advised the Emperor and the High Command, of his concerns of an attack on US forces and installations without the full and overwhelming forces necessary to carry an attack to the United States Mainland itself.

Part of this understanding may have been because:

In 1919, Isoroku Yamamoto left Japan to study at Harvard University in the United States. He would remain there until later in 1921.

After graduating from Harvard, Yamamoto was appointed to be the naval attaché to the embassy in Washington, D.C. He would remain there for the next couple of years, until 1936, when Yamamoto would become the vice-minister for the Japanese Navy. Five years later, in 1941, Isoroku Yamamoto became the Commander in Chief of all naval forces.

Yamamoto was NOT the ONLY Japanese Officer that enjoyed the education of an American School (or) College. There were also high ranking Army officers, that had a very real understanding of America and American beliefs, and probable reactions to an attack.

So to say that the Japanese were not understanding of American reaction of an attack, is NOT QUITE accurate.

The biggest misunderstandings, were on the part of American Diplomats, Politicians, Military planners, Field Commanders and the average Dog Face.

None of them were prepared for the blood baths that would be the hallmark of the fights necessary to dig the Japanese out of their prepared positions. Iwo Jima is a good example of the price that would be paid for some of that misunderstanding. For sure, nobody within the American forces foresaw the advent of the "Divine Wind" (or) Kamikaze attacks.

The Emperor and the Japanese High Command were aware of the dangers facing them, but chose to disregard the warnings.

SO WHO MISUNDERSTOOD (or) WAS IGNORANT OF WHOM?
September 7th, 2006  
boris116
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
b16
I have to disagree with you but only in a minor way. You 'hinted' that the Japanese were ignorant of America's mentality, goals, ways of life, etc. and that wasn't quite completely true.
The Emperor and the Japanese High Command were aware of the dangers facing them, but chose to disregard the warnings.

SO WHO MISUNDERSTOOD (or) WAS IGNORANT OF WHOM?
Chief, you are right of course!
I have to disagree with you only in minor way

Sure, I am aware of the Yamamoto words about the sleeping giant, however, I can't agree with the notion that the entire Japanese ruling class and the High Command were of the same high opinion on the American and Europian will to fight and capabilities to do so.

They, "en masse", considered us as weak, decadent and not up to par to the "true" warriors
September 9th, 2006  
Chief Bones
 
 

B116
I wasn't trying to say that the entire Japanese militay structure was well informed about America'a morals and so forth. What I do know, is that the immediate advisors to the Emporor were VERY well aware of what the outcome would be IF they didn't overwhelmingly remove America's ability to strike back. Many of the advisors (like Yamamoto), had served in a military role with US forces (or) attended American educational institutions which exposed them to America's "will do ... and ... never say die" attitudes. They had to know that the United States would respond with every fiber of their being to a "sneak attack" even IF the Declaration of War HAD been received prior to the attacl on Pearl Harbor.

Only a blind, deaf and dumb person who is from another universe could possibly NOT see the consequences ... the advisors definitely DID NOT fit that description.
--
September 11th, 2006  
boris116
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
B116
I wasn't trying to say that the entire Japanese militay structure was well informed about America'a morals and so forth. What I do know, is that the immediate advisors to the Emporor were VERY well aware of what the outcome would be IF they didn't overwhelmingly remove America's ability to strike back. Many of the advisors (like Yamamoto), had served in a military role with US forces (or) attended American educational institutions which exposed them to America's "will do ... and ... never say die" attitudes. They had to know that the United States would respond with every fiber of their being to a "sneak attack" even IF the Declaration of War HAD been received prior to the attacl on Pearl Harbor.

Only a blind, deaf and dumb person who is from another universe could possibly NOT see the consequences ... the advisors definitely DID NOT fit that description.
Then, how would you explain their "Grand plan" to set up a "secure perimeter from the Kurils and Aleutians, Midway, down to the Solomones, New Guinea, etc. to Burma amd China?
It can't be defended! This "castle", including most of Asia and Oceania could have existed ONLY if the Western powers were weak, spineless and decadent - as the Japanese have thought about them!
Those people, like Yamamoto, who have known - were not listened to!
September 12th, 2006  
AussieNick
 
Who cares. It ended the worst war we've ever seen. Isn't that good enough.
September 12th, 2006  
Chief Bones
 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris116
Then, how would you explain their "Grand plan" to set up a "secure perimeter from the Kurils and Aleutians, Midway, down to the Solomones, New Guinea, etc. to Burma amd China?
It can't be defended! This "castle", including most of Asia and Oceania could have existed ONLY if the Western powers were weak, spineless and decadent - as the Japanese have thought about them!
Those people, like Yamamoto, who have known - were not listened to!
I didn't say they were smart (or) that they listened to those who knew America and how strong our 'resolve' would be if attacked. I stated that they understood us much better than we understood them. Different thing altogether.

As far as NOT listening to those who 'know', you need go any further back in history than GW disregarding the recommendations of his military advisers prior to the invasion of Iraq.
September 12th, 2006  
boris116
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
I didn't say they were smart (or) that they listened to those who knew America and how strong our 'resolve' would be if attacked. I stated that they understood us much better than we understood them. Different thing altogether.
I would agree on this statement, Chief.

However, I should state that the Japanese have been very slow to to get this lack of understanding disappear. Much slower than the Americans.
I believe, by 1944, or even earlier, the American soldiers, sailors and the brass new very well what to expect from the Japanese.
September 13th, 2006  
Chief Bones
 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris116
I would agree on this statement, Chief.

However, I should state that the Japanese have been very slow to to get this lack of understanding disappear. Much slower than the Americans.
I believe, by 1944, or even earlier, the American soldiers, sailors and the brass new very well what to expect from the Japanese.
Now I can completely agree with you on this one. I believe that by early 1943, US and allied forces had a very good idea of what to expect from the Japanese ... as a matter of fact, I believe it was part of this understanding, which led to the use of the new 'super' weapon (A-bomb) on Aug 6th and 9th in 1945.
 


Similar Topics
Was Lee Whi-So killed by the U.S Government?
The US roll in central & south America.
U.S. Pushing Japan to Boost Military Role
Shaking hands with Sadam Hussein
Several Killed as U.S. Bombs Wrong Target in Iraq (Reuters)