Type 98 Main Battle Tank (Copy of Xion's Thread) - Page 2

--

September 28th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Great.
Well this is what I know will work... I mean just has to. Smoke screen. And then go on IR sensors. Laser is notorious for not being able to get through clouds and a smoke cloud might also do the trick.
The worst case scenario would be a surprise ambush by T-98s where they go after the tanks with those laser beams.
September 28th, 2004  
AsianAmerican

We should try it i'll go into a T98 and u go into another tank and see if the smoke screen works.... If it doesn't i hope you have good medical insurance. :P..... J/K
September 29th, 2004  
SHERMAN

acctually thats a good point. and no one fights better in the dark than the US anyways....Put down a smoke screen and than fight...
--
September 29th, 2004  
AsianAmerican

"The Chinese opted to equip their new Type 98 with a different countermeasure suite, based mainly on defeating ATGM, by the use of directed high power laser. A typical is the JD-3 "Dazzler" system comprises of laser warning devices, a dome shaped sensor installed on the turret's roof-top, and a box shaped Laser Self Defense Weapon (LSDW) which "fires" a laser beam at the illuminating source, either a tank gunner, helicopter or missile launcher. The system employs two modes of operation the low power mode is used at the general direction of the threat, in a search pattern designed to locate the target's optics. Once locked on a target, the laser switches to high power mode, to defeat the target by blinding the operator or saturating its electro-optical circuits.
"
September 29th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Won't work on a sabot round flying out of a dust cloud
September 30th, 2004  
AlexKall

Isnt it possible to by optics reflect the laser light, ie filtering all light in that wave length? It is possible to filter specific wave lengths so why wouldnt it work in this case? unless it shoots laser in many different wave lengths
September 30th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Hmm I was thinking about that.
Or something that will let light pass, but reflect something with high energy like laser. Then again I'm no scientist.
October 2nd, 2004  
Kinection

A filter would work, if it was very very tough. It would also need to withstand the heat. I read about this on sinodefence and sounds very interesting, smoke clouds would limit the effectiveness of the laser, but visibility would be reduced, both ways... wouldn't it? It would also mark off your location.
October 2nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

I think if he's trying to lock the laser onto your sights, he's seen you already and you're better concealed behind a smoke cloud.
I wonder how good the IR sensors are at looking through the smoke screen though!
I guess an angled screen could work... based on tech of the "one way mirror." Set at a very shallow angle so that the laser will just deflect off it. The challenge is to make that work and still have the gunner be able to see the target.
Either way this is a pretty evil thing to do and I'm sure there's something in the Geneva convention or whatnot about using the blinding laser weapons. They party poop about everything. Their laser tools might have to work very well in event of war or the enemies might return the favor by breaking the "do not slaughter enemy civilians" part of the Geneva convention.
October 2nd, 2004  
rOk

This may sound naive but wouldn't a sniper armed with an appropriate high calibre rifle (12.7,14.5,20mm) knock that box out?
I mean it doesn't look pretty solid too.