--

February 25th, 2005  
Sexybeast

Topic: Type 98,98G,99 tank

http://www.anyboard.net/gov/mil/anyb...ds/Type98G.jpg

http://www.sinodefence.com/army/tank/type98.asp

new type 99 is said to have 1500 horse power engine

the interesting thing on chinese tank is the laser dazzler

and it weights over 50 tons, probably indicates taht it has a better protection and stronger armor.

details read sinodefence.

now there are about 200 98s in chinese army
February 25th, 2005  
MadeInChina

sweet

tank production should be speeded up, i hated seeing those older tanks dominating the armor divisions
February 25th, 2005  
Sexybeast

they are pretty expensive, just as any third generation tanks in the world, at least 3-4 million U.S per copy i think

so the situation will be, in 2rd and 6rd armor division, there will be all 98G or 99s..

and the rest A-class armor divisions (5-7), will have one reigment of 98 or 99, and rest are type 96s..(a tank roughly comparable to t-80U probably)
--
February 25th, 2005  
Whispering Death

It's still a steel armored tank, and with that it'll get rolled on the battlefield :-/

That being said, I do like the laser self defence weapon.
February 25th, 2005  
Sexybeast

en..

it is not steel armor

if u look at the description

it is more like a combination of layers of steel and other materials..

and above it and layer of explosive armors (as in the picture)
February 25th, 2005  
Whispering Death

It's steel armor with a composite on the front and can bit fitted with ERA. ERA is kina' irrellevent vs. American tanks and...

1) I doubt the chinese composite armor
2) One of the main threats to an MBT on a modern battlefield is ATGMs which generally don't fire at the front anyway.
February 25th, 2005  
Sexybeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
It's steel armor with a composite on the front and can bit fitted with ERA. ERA is kina' irrellevent vs. American tanks and...

1) I doubt the chinese composite armor
2) One of the main threats to an MBT on a modern battlefield is ATGMs which generally don't fire at the front anyway.

translated

the armoured composition and thickness also are our main battle tank secret. But in order to let everybody be sincerely convinced, I may slightly disclose. I use am am separated the type composite armor, by the multilayer high strength, the tough alloy steel and other metal material weldings becomes. The newest advanced version leopard 2 A 6 armor obtained further strengthened, positive armor thickness probably was equal to 650? ? 750 millimeters homogeneous steels. Had this body "the golden bell glass", I may be in the world one of protection capability best main battle tanks.
February 25th, 2005  
Sexybeast

the dazzler is said to have a range of 5 miles something..

http://www.1n0.net/Files/RoUpFiles/1919307937.jpg
February 25th, 2005  
Whispering Death

First of all, unverifiable information means nothing to me. Secondly, how can it be the best armored MBT if its composite armor is only on the front?

Chogum armored Challenger 2 tank took 8 RPGs and 1 ATGM while completely imobolised and blinded. I seriously doubt the same thing would happen to a Chinese steel hull.

Concurrently, is the turret even armored with the composite? A significant number of tank-to-tank kills made by the Americans in the gulf wars have been turret hits.
February 25th, 2005  
Snauhi

From Global Security

The Type 98 was first introduced to the public during the parade on October 1, 1999, marking the 50th Anniverary of the founding of the People's Republic China. While initially confused as the Type 96, further study revealed that the 18 tanks on display during the parade were in fact a member of the Type 80 family of Chinese Main Battle Tanks.

The Type 98, also known as the WZ-123 MBT, is based on the Russian T-72 and even features a hull design similar to the Russian tank.

The Type 98 program is believed to have begun sometime in the early 1990s as the Chinese explored design changes to the Type 90-II.