Type 98,98G,99 tank - Page 4

--

February 28th, 2005  
rocco

ERA > RPG, yet the IDF i believe still keeps rpg's... they are reliable imo for bunker busting etc...
March 1st, 2005  
Sexybeast

i think in modern tank war between third generation tanks......

it is not who can take the hit from others and survive,
it is more like who can hit another first...

cuz i doubt even chinese got DU armors (they have composite armors now), the tank won't survive if they got hit by M1s....

on the other hand, a M1 won't survive too, hitting by a DU round (china showed its 100mm DU rounds years ago, should have 125mm long ago), it probably won't survive too....

it is a matter of training and fire control system
March 1st, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast

cuz i doubt even chinese got DU armors (they have composite armors now), the tank won't survive if they got hit by M1s....

on the other hand, a M1 won't survive too, hitting by a DU round (china showed its 100mm DU rounds years ago, should have 125mm long ago), it probably won't survive too....

You are partially right. Getting the first shot on target is the most important thing in armored warfare. That being said, the M1xx with M289A3 can penetrate the Type 98 all it's entire frontal aspect, the Type 98's 3rd Gen DU gets something like 810mm, so it can pop parts of the turret, glacis, and lower hull. I just have more faith in an M1xx crew to shoot first.
--
March 1st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
The difference: The American laser beam will BLOW up your tank.
There is no laser weapon in development that can kill tanks.
There's gonna be soon enough. You know that laser gun they're going to mount on a 747 to blow up strategic missiles? Tell me how that wouldn't work on ground targets.
The interesting thing about R&D in the US military is that we seldom let on that we have a certain technology until confronted with irrefutable proof.

About a month ago, local passers by spotted a really really bright column of light that seemed to be directed skyward from the Dugway proving grounds. It was the middle of the night, but at many miles distance the whole area was as brighly lit as it would have been with a clear sky at noon. All of the eyewitnesses that sat there gawking came away with sunburns. What was this phenominon? The US military ain't tellin.

The power requirements for a laser that can kill a tank would be insane of course, but it could probably be done.
March 1st, 2005  
Sexybeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:

You are partially right. Getting the first shot on target is the most important thing in armored warfare. That being said, the M1xx with M289A3 can penetrate the Type 98 all it's entire frontal aspect, the Type 98's 3rd Gen DU gets something like 810mm, so it can pop parts of the turret, glacis, and lower hull. I just have more faith in an M1xx crew to shoot first.
i agree too, no doubt U.S troops are better trained...

in china, prehaps only class-A armies can partially compare to the training level of U.S regular forces
March 2nd, 2005  
Sexybeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontree
Just to clarify, role of the the laser beam mounted on the Type 98 is confuse enemy laser range finders. The laser is used in conjunction with a laser warning receiver that is also mounted on the turret.
according to most of sources written about Type 98

the laser thing is also for hurting the soldiers' eyes in enemy tanks
March 2nd, 2005  
Sexybeast

Topic: Re: Type 98,98G,99 tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontree
Quote:
new type 99 is said to have 1500 horse power engine
The Type 99 is 'said' to be a Type 98 chassis, with a turret having a 152mm gun. The increase due to heavier gun (from 125mm for Type 98 MBT) will increase the tank wt to about 75 tons.
My question is, what engine is being used to propel the Type 99?..Is it a different engine from the Type 99 or is it the same 1200 hp deasil engine.
it is still 125 mm gun (i doubt they got DU rounds for 152 mm gun yet), but adding more molecules of composite armors and a new engine, and so sorry no pic of internal structure of new 99G yet, its external now look a bit like leopord 2, if u look at this pic

http://www.xinjunshi.com/ziliao/Uplo...9164841919.jpg
http://www.xinjunshi.com/Article/Upl...0103438754.jpg
http://www.xinjunshi.com/Article/Upl...5104509745.jpg
http://www.xinjunshi.com/Article/Upl...8155933873.jpg

and most of sources indicates it is 1500 horse power,
as china has successfully produced 1500 horse power engine a few years ago, and T-99 should have 1500 engine (made in china) by now, in the future, china may learn more from german 1500 power engine as EU lifted its embargo
March 2nd, 2005  
lemontree

Quote:
the laser thing is also for hurting the soldiers' eyes in enemy tanks
The laser would only affect the eyes of SOF troops that use the laser illuminators for guiding arty/air delivered ordinance. It will not affect enemy tank crews as laser range finders of tanks are fired in a burst and it is not a continues beam like an illuminator/laser target designator. Hence, locating the source of the range finder (i.e the enemy tank) would be difficult.
March 2nd, 2005  
A Can of Man

No what they did was fit an oversized eye surgeon's laser onto the tank. This is known as Dazzler Laser I believe.