Two cautioned over wireless Internet "piggy-backing" - Page 2

--

April 19th, 2007  
Team Infidel

i have a question for the engineer here. How can I tell if someone is piggybacking off my signal?
April 19th, 2007  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
i have a question for the engineer here. How can I tell if someone is piggybacking off my signal?
You should notice a drop in bandwidth. If your line has suddenly gotten slow and you aren't using it for anything you might want to check to see if you got any uninvited guests on it.

Keep in mind that even although YOU might not be using the internet, something else on your computer might. For example Windows Update, the automatic update of virus protection files, program auto patching system etc...

Once you have ruled that out check the routers settings.

This depends on the router, but on the better ones it will list the PC's or the IP address that are connected. You'll need to access the settings in the router configuration, this is usually done via a HTTP command.
April 19th, 2007  
Team Infidel

ok. cool. mine is encrypted, so i don't have to worry about it, but i always wondered how it could be detected that someone was using my link
--
April 19th, 2007  
Donkey

If you have a Linksys WRT54G (or the newer WRT54GL) you can hack it very easily and add oooooodles of cool extras and tweakable items

And like mmarsh said you can check who is connected to your WAN or LAN by the DHCP table in your routers settings...

You could also use a program like AirSnare if you are so inclined
April 23rd, 2007  
major liability

I would be pretty pissed if I found out someone was piggybacking on my connection, because that would cause some lag in online games and also slow my torrent downloads significantly. Honestly, though, I wouldn't feel bad about doing it to someone else.
April 23rd, 2007  
Donkey

Well if you where so inclined you could set it up so that you had a limited amount of bandwidth open to new IP addresses. Basically you would give all your personnel computers priority...
April 23rd, 2007  
mmarsh

Major Liability

You have a point. In fact this is why I think piggybacking is wrong. Its not so much ripping off the ISP (though I don't support that either, they have a right to make money for the service they provide), its the fact by piggybacking you are limiting the service for which somebody else is paying for, especially when you are not even asking permission.

Its no different then tapping into someones electrical system or telephone line.
April 23rd, 2007  
Donkey

I'm not saying it is right I'm just saying that it should be the responsibility of the owners to secure their internet, for some may want to share.
April 23rd, 2007  
philam15

I have a wireless internet connection, but even though our monitor or whatever downstairs says we have signal, I cant hardly EVER connect, and for some reason I get our neighbor's signal so perfectly clear...I don't mean do be doing it, and it's wrong. I've called tech support so many times, but the idiots can't ever figure it out, so what am I supposed to do, go without internet? It's not hurting anyone, Im paying for it, and it's not like Im taking it so my neighbors can't use it.
April 24th, 2007  
Donkey

You can get booster antennas and/or depending on the router you can put a 3rd party firmware on it and boost your Tx signal...

what router is it?