A tribute to France. - Page 2




 
--
Boots
 
November 18th, 2004  
03USMC
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Okay I'll take your point about the debt. But lets not fool ourselves into thinking that the French aided the colonies out of a love of liberty or any high minded notion.

They aided the Colonies because it suited their purposes. Keeping large amounts of the Royal Army and Navy tied up with rebellious colonials kept them out of Europe.
But doesn't any country act out of self interest? Surely America has done this throughout their history!


Sure they do . The world works that way. The US was involved in the Banana Wars for this exact reason.

The French however tend to gloss over that fact. As do the US history books.
November 19th, 2004  
Darcia
 
I personaly see nothing wrong with that the French said, Most of our other allies have done the same thing, However I Think the Congress probably didn't help it when they started changing all the names. At my school all the 'Fries' as they are now called come i9n these American Flag Thingy's
November 19th, 2004  
A Can of Man
 
 
"Freedom Fries".... what a terrible idea.
--
Boots
November 19th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer
 
lol, who really cared about the fry thing? It gave me a smirk, it's lame, but who cares..... just a little joke.
November 19th, 2004  
Young Winston
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameon
I personaly see nothing wrong with that the French said, Most of our other allies have done the same thing, However I Think the Congress probably didn't help it when they started changing all the names. At my school all the 'Fries' as they are now called come i9n these American Flag Thingy's
Yeah, it was rather childish. We had a big laugh about that in Australia.

The French would have found it amusing too!
November 19th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer
 
It was so stupid- that's what made it funny.
November 19th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
But doesn't any country act out of self interest? Surely America has done this throughout their history!
aussiejohn has a point about the self interest bit. A lot of those small wars that the US was involved in in the 1800's and 1900's had to deal with US interests in one way or another. Some of them were fought to protect US citizens/property while others were fought to give the US a foot hold in some far away place. Most of those wars benefited the US in one way or another. France was expecting the American Revolution to benefit her as well

I also agree with the Freedom fry thing being childish.
November 19th, 2004  
Darcia
 
Some of these Super Patriotic Places still have it... I would love to meation to them that we are technicly suppose to like the French, After all we are allies and we do trade weapons.
November 19th, 2004  
03USMC
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
The French would have found it amusing too!

Yeah but then again they think Jerry Lewis is a comic genius.


Hey laaaadddddy.
November 26th, 2004  
Young Winston
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
The French would have found it amusing too!

Yeah but then again they think Jerry Lewis is a comic genius.


Hey laaaadddddy.
I loved him in the "Nutty Professor"!!!