Top, I just got a telegram

DTop

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]The Captain called the First Sergeant into his office. "Top, I just got a telegram. Private Jones' mother died yesterday. Better go tell him and send him in to see me."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]So the First Shirt calls for his morning formation and lines up all the troops. "Listen up, men," he says . [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]"Johnson, report to the mess hall for KP. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Smith, report to Personnel to sign some papers for your 201 file. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]The rest of you men report to the Motor Pool for maintenance. Oh by the way, Jones, your mother died, report to the C.O."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Later that day the Captain called the First Sergeant into his office. "Top, that was a pretty cold way to inform Jones his mother died. Couldn't you be a bit more tactful, next time?"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]"Yes sir," answered the First Sergeant. A few months later, the Captain called the First Sergeant in again with, "Top, I just got a telegram. Private McGrath's mother died. You'd better go tell him and send him in to see me. This time be more tactful."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]So the First Sergeant calls for his morning formation. "OK, men, fall in and listen up. Everybody with a mother, take two steps forward -- NOT SO FAST, McGRATH!"[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
In Germany, we had it slightly differently:

The German joke has the same guy losing first his father (setup as in the joke above), then a few month later his mother (and the UvD ordered to deliver the news "slightly more tactfully").

So, the UvD, at the morning formation, would order "All ORPHANS, two steps foooor´ard!... McGrath!... (just to keep in line with the joke, of cause in Germany you wont have anybody named like that) ...that applies to YOU as well!!!"

Rattler

Last edited:
In Germany, we had it slightly differently:

The German joke has the same guy losing first his father (setup as in the joke above), then a few month later his mother (and the UvD ordered to deliver the news "slightly more tactfully").

So, the UvD, at the morning formation, would order "All ORPHANS, two steps foooor´ard!... McGrath!... (just to keep in line with the joke, of cause in Germany you wont have anybody named like that) ...that applies to YOU as well!!!"

Rattler

Good addition, rattler.

Back