Too many?

Lamm

I have a weight training class I am in at school. I exercise there and also by myself at night.
At school I do different types of bench, squat, clean, deadlift, and some other little stuff on MWF. Tues and Thurs I do strength and agility. Running, ladders, stairs, etc. But, on MWF, I do 4 exercises max. I usually do bench, dips, glute developer, and either deadlift, squat, or clean. So, its not like I do 10 exercises.

At home Mon, I do 3 max sets of push-ups and 100 dips ( hands behind back on a bench, fee ton ground).
Tues- 100 hands closed in push-ups, and leg exercises
Wed- 3 max set of push-ups, and 100 push-ups going down touching someone's hand or a soup can.
Thurs- leg exercises, and 100 push-ups with arms farther apart then shoulder width.
Fri- 3 max set of push-ups, 100 dips ( hands behind back on bench, feet on a box elevated).
I also am doing the Capt's Crunch workout and am running MWF. MWF- Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

I was wondering if doing all this is too much. I know if I do too much, my muscles won't grow, right?

Thanks for any and all help.
Lamm

Your muscles will only grow if you give them time to repair. When you work out what you're doing is ripping your muscles apart, doesn't sound very pretty but it's true. To allow your muscles to "grow" they need to repair. The thing is you might not notice much more physical bulk on your arms but the muscles themselves will be more dense and more powerful. A general rule of thumb is to not exercise the same muscle group within 48 hours. What it looks like to me is a bit bunched up. You only really need to work out 2/3 night a week and you'll get good results. There's no real way to "fast track" muscle growth so I would suggest chest and thigh development on mondays, pec and hamstring/lower leg wednesday and arm/back exercises on Friday. That should set you up and leave you satisfied after a couple weeks. You might not look much bulkier after that long but you will feel much stronger. Like I said working out adds bulk, but not much, it's mostly muscle density.

I am just looking to build a lot of endurance and build some strength. I don't want big muscles.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Lamm

yeah what happens when you do any sort of exercise is that the muscles are torn on a minute scale.after this the muscles automatically repair themselves, and they actually grow back a little bigger than they originally were.
if you exercise then rest,exercise then rest etc you are tearing them but you aren't giving them sufficient time to repair or grow. what can happen if you dont allow the muscles time to repair is they may distrophy, which means that they are overused and they start to atrophy.... or something like that
basically, overworking your muscles is bad, they need time to grow, this will help build up your endurance

Roger, I exercise in the morning then at night, so its about 12 hours in between each exercises session. Is that a long enough period of rest?
Thanks,
Lamm

i was always told you should wait about a day inbetween, i dont know if thats right, but its what i was told

Lamm said:
Roger, I exercise in the morning then at night, so its about 12 hours in between each exercises session. Is that a long enough period of rest?
Thanks,
Lamm

No, that is not enough.

Lamm said:
Thanks,
Lamm

48 hours should be the minimum you wait before exercising the same muscle group again. You really don't need to work each group more than once or twice a week. Any more than that is pointless, if not prohibitive. If you don't give your body time to heal itself then you'll only be breaking your muscles down, and they won't be building again.

I don't really exercise the same muscle group again though. I do bench in the morning. I do push-ups and dips at night, are those the same muscles? Those would be the only ones if so.
Thanks,
Lamm

MWF-
morning- bench, dips, glute developer, and either squat, deadlift, or clean. (same for Mon, Wed, and Fri ).
mon-3 max set push-ups, dips, 3 max set of sit-ups. 100 elbow to knee crunches.
wed- 3 max set push-ups, 3 max set ofsit-ups, push-ups with can.( 5 sets of 20, rest 30 sec in between each). 100 elbow to knee crunches.
fri- 3 max set push-ups, 3 max set of sit-ups, dips, 100 elbow to knee crunches.

Tues
morning- stairs, run through ladders, box jumps.
night- 5 simple leg exercises, and diamoind push-ups ( 5 of 20), 3 max set of sit-ups. 100 elbow to knee crunches.
Thurs
morning- same as Tues.
night, 5 simple leg exercises, arms farther than shoulder width push-ups(5 of 20), 3 max set of sit-ups. 100 elbow to knee crunches.

I drink plenty of water before and after exercising. Is this too much, if so please let me know. I don't want to f*** myself.
Lamm

Here's my routine. It seems a bit random, bu ' a garantee against straining or tearing something. I have three "general" areas that I work. One is the chest(chest, biceps, triceps, forearms), one is the back(shoulders, upper back, lower back, lats), and one is legs(quads, hams, glutes, calves, groin, etc.). One week, on a Monday, I completely overload one group. Then I don't touch that group for the rest of the week. For example, on Monday, I overload the chest. Wednsday and Friday, I work the back and legs respectively. The next monday, I overload the back(this will hurt for a long time). Wednsday will be legs and Friday will be chest. The next Monday, I overload the legs. Wed. is chest and Friday is back. It should be noted that the Wednsday and Friday workouts are normal workouts, not overloads.

Now, for the way I overload. I find a weight that I can do 10-12 reps fairly easily with and do that set. Then I will increase the weight 10-15 pounds and do another set of 10-12(the lifter should have to work a little bit for this set). I increase the weight only as high as 6-8 more reps will allow(The lifter should be in a great deal of pain by now). Then there is the actual overload part. Increase the weight one final time so that you can only do 3-4 reps(Your spotter will help you do about 5-6 more after that). Then drop the weight down to the 6-8 region and do as many as you can(Your spotter will insist that you have 5 more reps in you and will help you do those 5 extra reps). Drop the weight again to the second set of 10-12 range and go as hard as you can(The magic number here is 15+). Drop the weight one last time to the first set of 10-12 reps range(the one that was sooo easy before). Go until you can't feel the area you're working.

Now for the results. My benchpress has shot from 185 to 225 pounds in the last four weeks. In the last 2 months, my squat shot from 315 to 340 pounds(and I've managed to rip out of a set of CAP dress blue trousers :oops: I have more e power than I could have ever imagined, and I can put the title of BEEF HOSS in my title bar!

But what about my above routine, is that good? I leave 10-12 hours in between the morning session and the evening session. Is that enough time? I've heard that 12 hours is plenty of time. As long as yu're not hurting yourself, you're fine. If you are, you should rest.
I have improved as well. In about 3 months I went from benching 115 - 185. I've improved on a lot of other stuff as well. But I am looking to build endurance as well, because I know that's what you need in the Corps.
Thanks for the advice,
Lamm

Lamm,

I do not know about twelve hours being enough or not, but I do know that it ultimately only matters how you feel. I work out as much as I can to notice improvement and still be able to preform at my athletics, so in my preparation for a military career I have moved away from machines and have moved to using myself for exercise. I'm focusing on Running, Push-ups, and Sit-ups. For Push-ups I do my only weight exercise and thats benching 4-5 sets of 20 reps at 65% body weight and I also do a burn-out for 2 min of Push-ups and then I do 5 sets of 1 min. Burn-outs with 2 min. rest between sets. I try to alternate days with the push-ups and bench press. I also do the same burn-out program with Sit-ups except with a 1.5 min break between sets, but daily. As for running I had to run for hockey pre-season conditioning and I am doing track for the first time in my life. I advise doing the same. As for doing endurance building exercises, I swim. I try to go once or twice a week and do a couple of miles at a time going at a nice pace and stopping every about half hour. (Seems like a lot, but I was one of the top swimmers in my area before I choice hockey as my winter sport of choice) I advise anyone thats trying to build endurance to partake in a swimming program.

I also do a hockey work-out with weights but that has nothing to do with my military preparation.

lamm
if you want a properly set out routine, which develops you properly, go see a professional. they will find what group of muscles you want worked and will devise exercises and the # of reps for you. while people on this forum are knowledgable in the area of PT, nothing beats a pro

When I did (many years ago) have a routine that did work fairly well. Monday, Wednesday, Friday I worked on my upper body to include the stomach and back. On Tuesday and Thursday my lower portion of my body. Weekends were for rest and fun, maybe a bike ride, basketball, volleyball, etc., one should allow their muscles to rest and only work them up to when it hurts and then stop.

SFC

If you work out a certain muscle intensively today, you should not be exercising that muscle tomorrow. that's the system.

Back