Too many?

--
Boots

December 29th, 2004  
Lamm

Topic: Too many?

I have a weight training class I am in at school. I exercise there and also by myself at night.
At school I do different types of bench, squat, clean, deadlift, and some other little stuff on MWF. Tues and Thurs I do strength and agility. Running, ladders, stairs, etc. But, on MWF, I do 4 exercises max. I usually do bench, dips, glute developer, and either deadlift, squat, or clean. So, its not like I do 10 exercises.

At home Mon, I do 3 max sets of push-ups and 100 dips ( hands behind back on a bench, fee ton ground).
Tues- 100 hands closed in push-ups, and leg exercises
Wed- 3 max set of push-ups, and 100 push-ups going down touching someone's hand or a soup can.
Thurs- leg exercises, and 100 push-ups with arms farther apart then shoulder width.
Fri- 3 max set of push-ups, 100 dips ( hands behind back on bench, feet on a box elevated).
I also am doing the Capt's Crunch workout and am running MWF. MWF- Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

I was wondering if doing all this is too much. I know if I do too much, my muscles won't grow, right?

Thanks for any and all help.
Lamm
December 29th, 2004  
pimp_squeak

Your muscles will only grow if you give them time to repair. When you work out what you're doing is ripping your muscles apart, doesn't sound very pretty but it's true. To allow your muscles to "grow" they need to repair. The thing is you might not notice much more physical bulk on your arms but the muscles themselves will be more dense and more powerful. A general rule of thumb is to not exercise the same muscle group within 48 hours. What it looks like to me is a bit bunched up. You only really need to work out 2/3 night a week and you'll get good results. There's no real way to "fast track" muscle growth so I would suggest chest and thigh development on mondays, pec and hamstring/lower leg wednesday and arm/back exercises on Friday. That should set you up and leave you satisfied after a couple weeks. You might not look much bulkier after that long but you will feel much stronger. Like I said working out adds bulk, but not much, it's mostly muscle density.
December 30th, 2004  
Lamm

I am just looking to build a lot of endurance and build some strength. I don't want big muscles.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Lamm
--
Boots
December 30th, 2004  
Turner

just keep it up you recbulid you seld
December 30th, 2004  
Locke

yeah what happens when you do any sort of exercise is that the muscles are torn on a minute scale.after this the muscles automatically repair themselves, and they actually grow back a little bigger than they originally were.
if you exercise then rest,exercise then rest etc you are tearing them but you aren't giving them sufficient time to repair or grow. what can happen if you dont allow the muscles time to repair is they may distrophy, which means that they are overused and they start to atrophy.... or something like that
basically, overworking your muscles is bad, they need time to grow, this will help build up your endurance
December 30th, 2004  
AussieNick

Quote:
which means that they are overused and they start to atrophy.
Underuse is atrophy
December 30th, 2004  
Locke

ooops my bad they degenerate, whether it is due to atrophy or dystrophy
December 30th, 2004  
Lamm

Roger, I exercise in the morning then at night, so its about 12 hours in between each exercises session. Is that a long enough period of rest?
Thanks,
Lamm
January 1st, 2005  
rotc boy

i was always told you should wait about a day inbetween, i dont know if thats right, but its what i was told
January 1st, 2005  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamm
Roger, I exercise in the morning then at night, so its about 12 hours in between each exercises session. Is that a long enough period of rest?
Thanks,
Lamm
No, that is not enough.