Are today's history textbooks ruining history?? - Page 2

View Poll Results :Are today's history textbooks destroying history??
Yes 17 77.27%
No 3 13.64%
Don't Care 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

September 9th, 2004  
Darkmb101

History will always be distorted by the victors.

Secondly, religion should stay in the text books because it was the foundation for many civilizations.
September 9th, 2004  
zyonchaos

Im glad to see Im not the only one who believes that political correctness is ruining our world. The US are not the only ones suffering from this oppression we in the UK are getting a fair old chunk of it aswell, and quite frankly I find it a pain in the arse.

History is history the fact that people keep re-writing the books to suit themselves annoys me so what if its not politically correct to mention the churches involvement in the slaughter of thousands (the crusades) it happened. Who cares if its not politically correct to mention that there was millions of jews killed in wwII its history our children deserve to know about these things
My history class armed with Mr. Grey the best history teacher I ever knew had to fight my head master just to get things like Auschwitz and the atrocities committed by the Nazis discussed in class. When it eventually happened everyone enjoyed it History is fun when it is taught as a whole not bits and pieces that suit the minority who have loud voices

Jay
September 9th, 2004  
Rotty261

Topic: History

I have not spent a great deal of time looking through todays history text books since I have not been in school for some time now. The little I have looked through leaves out a lot about some of our more prominent Republican presidents and the things they did, right or wrong all of that is what makes up the great country we live in today. I seen only a small section on Ronald Reagan (may he rest in peace) and George Bush. Both of these presidents had a lot happen and made a lot of decisions that changed the history of our country forever. Examples:

1981-1989
Attempted assassination of Reagan
Challenger Space Shuttle
Iran-Contra arms sales
Nuclear Arms Race (A very significant time in my eyes)

1989-1993
Iran-Contra cont...
Desert Storm

These are just a few key things both of these great CINC's dealt with, all very worthy of being in a history book..
--
Boots
September 9th, 2004  
Lupos

Woah! I am sorry for you Zyon, that is incredibly different here. Well, at least with Auschwitz. We have had that all but shoved down our throats since seventh grade in our school district. Still, we do have a ludicrus amount cut out, details wise. As was said, the 80s were an era dominated by Republicans in the US, yet we do not hear enough about the good things they did while in office. Mostly we only hear about the deficits and unemployment. It is the same with Nixon. Nixon did his share of good things, for instance, reopening relations with China and the Soviet Union. But all we hear about is this equation. Nixon
=Vietnam+Watergate=Bad
September 10th, 2004  
Six

There are many history textbooks today that mention people like Susan B. Anthony and Martin Luther King, Jr, more than George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and Abraham Lincoln. Some have deleted the word "War" as if it had nothing to do with history.
In choosing what to include in a history book, the author will always be somewhat biased, but this is just ridiculous.
September 12th, 2004  
FAQ

History gets messed up over a period of time , like when they changed the B.C thing, thousands years it ment before crist , now they changed it to some other b******t because some people chose not to bulive in crist , theres nothing wrong with not builiving but they shouldnt change history
September 24th, 2004  
03USMC

History is being revised and watered down to the point of fairy tales. I can look thru my daughters text book and see a myriad of revisions some of which border on lies.
The fact is history now is revised to prevent hurt feelings and to indicate the trimumphs of certain groups.
September 24th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
History is being revised and watered down to the point of fairy tales. I can look thru my daughters text book and see a myriad of revisions some of which border on lies.
The fact is history now is revised to prevent hurt feelings and to indicate the trimumphs of certain groups.
If you don't mind, could you post some of those revisions? I have packed up my text book in prepairation to move to Ft. Campbell. PLus I have not seen any current texts books. I am sure they have gotten pretty bad.
September 24th, 2004  
03USMC

I'll try to post some later as I have to go to work shortly. It may take some time because when I read some of them it gets my skivvies in a bunch.
September 26th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I'll try to post some later as I have to go to work shortly. It may take some time because when I read some of them it gets my skivvies in a bunch.
Ah yes, one can only handle so much BS at a time. Take your time and try not to get all bunched up