Tiger gunships are deploying to Afghanistan

BelleEpoque

PARIS, June 5 (Xinhua) -- France will send Tiger gunships to Afghanistan to replace its three aging attack helicopters, announced French Defense Minister Herve Morin Friday. Armed with rockets, missiles and a 30mm cannon, those attack choppers would be able to provide close air support to ground forces battling the Talian. According to Herve Morin, the troops would arrive in Afghanistan in the summer.
France has 2,800 soldiers in Afghanistan at NATO command. The country is to keep troops in Afghanistan, as President Nicolas Sarkozy has said French troops are committed to the mission. The country is to increase numbers of troops in Afghanistan.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-06/06/content_11496325.htm

Tiger helicopter :

That will be the first operational engagement for these new generation helicopters :)

Awesome!
Amazing how things change. Back in 2001 and 2003 the US accused France of some pretty nasty stuff. Now, under Sarkozy, France is as tough as they come.

Now Australia has to just pull themselves together and send our Tigers as well. It's about time we put them into play. Our CH-47's and S-70A's have been busy enough.

Are they going to trade three for three?
Somehow I can´t read the article.

Rumor has it Sweden are going to toss a few Super Pumas into the mix as well.
I´ll believe it when I see it though.

Back