Which of these tanks can perform the best? - Page 12

--

July 16th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by brillix
- Abrahms - slow, but powerful : I don't know Abrahms.
- Merkava - slow, hard to take out : Some 20 Merkavas (including Mark 4) were disabled in Lebanon, especially by RPG-29 'Vampir' tandem-warhead.
- Others - junk : Le Clerc, Challenger 2, Ariete, Type-10 Japan are junk ?
K2 MBT isn't a bad tank either.
July 20th, 2009  
Seriy

Topic: ...

The Russian tank is not T-90 or T-95. It's the (now legendary) Object 640 'Black Eagle'. A tank I had a dream to drive on day but never did. God, they said none were produced, but, judging from this photo, they lied...

As for T-95, they are currently being tested. They will start to mass produce them by 2010.

As for which is the best, being Russian and having served in the tank forces there, I would say the Black Eagle, which is actually in itself the prototype for the T-90 and T-95. But I've been to Israel and seen the Merkava in action, so, I have to say... I'm torn between those two.
July 22nd, 2009  
A Can of Man

The only Russian stuff I've ever been really impressed with is the AK series rifles and their Mi helicopters.
--
July 23rd, 2009  
Seriy

Disagree. Why only Mi helicopters? What of Kamov (KA-50 aka Black Shark, and KA-52 aka Alligator) choppers? Those are great too.
July 23rd, 2009  
A Can of Man

Yeah actually, the Kamovs aren't bad either. No, not a big fan of any of their dedicated attack helicopters like you said such as the Black Shark and Alligator. But I'm a bit of a fan when it comes to Russian utility helicopters.
July 24th, 2009  
Panzercracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriy

As for which is the best, being Russian and having served in the tank forces there, I would say the Black Eagle, which is actually in itself the prototype for the T-90 and T-95. But I've been to Israel and seen the Merkava in action, so, I have to say... I'm torn between those two.
Rubbish, there's no prototype of the "Black Eagle" theres not one bolt or screw built and its unlikely it will be built in the next 10-15 years.

T-90 used T-72 as basis.

T-95 just like Black Eagle is vaporware, it either does not exist or its a glorified T-90 with a few modifications, sorry to burst your bubble but concrete evidence (lack of any evidence that is) implies that Russia is not developing any new tank anytime soon.
July 24th, 2009  
A Can of Man

It's just like that now with the Russian stuff.
They're the same thing with new names.

The new line of Sukhoi jets are simply Su-27s undergone upgrades. In other countries that aren't crazy, they'd just name it Su-27E or something like that.
Same with those tanks. The T-90 like you said, is a heavily upgraded T-72. But it is still a T-72.

It would be like calling the M1 MBT the M1, the M1A1 as the M2 MBT, the M1A2 the M3 and the M1A2SEP the M4.
It's ridiculous.

Like the Su-34, the bomber version of the Su-27 had this one single airframe that went on display under "Su-34" "Su-34FN" "Su-34MF." For the same aircraft!
July 24th, 2009  
Panzercracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
\
Same with those tanks. The T-90 like you said, is a heavily upgraded T-72. But it is still a T-72.
Its not a T-72, its a new tank that used T-72 as a basis but its so heavily improved it can stand on relatively equal footing with most modern western designs, there's a much bigger difference between T-72/T-90 and respective Abrams variants.
July 24th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Well, you're the tank authority it seems so I'll take your word for it. But again as with Russian stuff, I gotta see it to believe it.
I believe the Metis-M did well against Merkavas in Lebanon, so I believe that one.
July 24th, 2009  
Zastava-Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
It's just like that now with the Russian stuff.
They're the same thing with new names.

The new line of Sukhoi jets are simply Su-27s undergone upgrades. In other countries that aren't crazy, they'd just name it Su-27E or something like that.

It would be like calling the M1 MBT the M1, the M1A1 as the M2 MBT, the M1A2 the M3 and the M1A2SEP the M4.
It's ridiculous.

Like the Su-34, the bomber version of the Su-27 had this one single airframe that went on display under "Su-34" "Su-34FN" "Su-34MF." For the same aircraft!
From what I see, when Russians call their Aircraft stuff like Su-30MKI or MiG-29OVT it means its a modernised/export version of it. Thats why they call the others Su-33/34 and MiG-35 etc etc [Though NATO labels them stuff like Fulcrum-E and similar]