Is there a way to force someone into military service?

Xoce

I have an acquaintance who needs to be in the military, and be deployed ASAP. The early 20s male is smart, very athletic, but is a total loser :bang::shoothea: when it comes to life and is making bad choices, to put it mildly. He is in a little trouble with the law-- possibly probation but no jail time. Not exactly sure, but bad enough to need a lawyer.

I think the military would be the best place to turn the loser-boy into a man.
He is an American citizen. I'm aware that the US has an ALL-VOLUNTEER military, but would like to know if there are ways which pressure could be applied to this loser to get a little courage and some honor, and service his country.

I would GREATLY appreciate any advice.

I have MUCH respect for all military servicemen.

No. The only way you could do it is get him arrested and have part of a plea deal be military service, but even that's a slippery slope and can lead to his enlistment being thrown out if something comes up.

Plus, we don't want someone who doesn't want to be there. The draft isn't gone JUST because of public opinion.

Good luck - sorry I couldn't be more help :|

Forcing anyone into military service is a horrible idea unless your country is on the brink of destruction and you need manpower.

Im sorry if this comes off too strong, but...u gotta be crazy to try and force someone into the military...senario, your an 0300(infantry) in the middle of bagdad and in ur fire team you have someone that was forced into the military...do you honestly think this person would have the honor or courage, even bravery to watch his brothers on his left and right? remember he's there against his will...he already doesnt want to be there...my opinion, he's a risk to have him there and in the military, not to mention, to have someone forced in the military because of a "plea bargain" is insane...

Thank you all for your advice.
I knew that it was a bad idea (unless the twerp got straightened out in boot camp and was a changed man who would be a good fighter and be honorable/courageous/dependable)
not to mention it was probably not even feasible.
I also definitely would NOT want him to be a liability to any soldiers ever.

Thank you for the info about getting arrested/plea deal. I'll keep that in mind.

Any ideas from the REAL MEN out there, and others!!! on how to FIX a loser who acts like a teenager?
If I had my way, it would involve a baseball bat and then a one way ticket to Siberia or Sudan.

Thanks very much.

The military is NOT a good choice for everyone ........

Back in the day (of the draft), judges could offer bad boys the choice of jail or a tour of duty in the Army. Sadly or not (depending on your opinion), that is no longer allowed. As a matter of fact, if someone has a criminal record today, they will need a waiver before they will be allowed to serve in ANY branch of the military. ..... {Last time I read the Directives} .....

Personally, I could care less whether the military option was still in play for those young men who could use a little discipline in their lives. There were many many young men who were offered the military option and accepted, that turned out alright. Of course, there were a few that were bad members of the military ... and ... ended up with Bad Conduct Discharges (Dishonorable), for everything from discipline problems to drug addiction - you name it.
Let's face it ... the military is NOT a good choice for everyone.

Dr. Phil....Oprah...maybe talk to them and see if they can have a special on "we want to save our loser friends from stupidity and lazyness"...that way we can help more than 1 person at a time...

Thats an aweful idea, I know that I volunteered, and I know that if I couldnt say to myself, to be able to say "this is what I asked for", if somebody else forced me into it, I would hate it.

If there was a National Call up then there are ways of making a person complete his service, and I am speaking from experience

Back