The tank graveyard: German depot that has dismantled more than 15,000 armoured vehicl

--

May 23rd, 2014  
MAD

Topic: The tank graveyard: German depot that has dismantled more than 15,000 armoured vehicl

Original post: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-strip-milita

The tank graveyard: German depot that hasdismantled more than 15,000 armoured vehicles built for the Cold War but nowsit waiting to be stripped and melted down
With conflict in European soil in east Ukraine,Russiaallegedly massing her forces at the border, it may seem odd that many of thecontinent's nations are actually dismantling their armed forces.
These pictures show dozens of Marder lighttanks that once belonged to the West German army's mechanised infantry, waitingin the yard of Battle Tank Dismantling GmbH in Edeleben, Germany.
Since the early 1990s the company hasdismantled over 15,000 tanks and other armoured vehicles, from German,Austrian, French and other European arsenals. They are complying with Treaty onConventional Armed Forces in Europe, anagreement from the final years of the Cold War which placed limits on key typesof military equipment.
But critics say that with the end of theCold War and the shifts in the balance of power in Eastern Europe, the terms of the treaty are out of date. Russia in 2007 refused to meet its treatyobligations out of anger at the westwards expansion of Nato and plans to bases U.S. ballistic missile defences in Poland.

May 23rd, 2014  
MAD

February 17th, 2015  
crockett007

Those aren't tanks bro...Marder APC's
--
February 17th, 2015  
MontyB

Indeed and I would like one although I would prefer the Boxer.

What are the things under the tarpaulins though as they seem to be sporting a fairly large caliber gun and the turrets look oddly square.
March 3rd, 2015  
BritinAfrica

When my dad was in France after D Day, he mentioned that there were farmers fields packed with German vehicles of all types, tracked and wheeled. Some were basically scrap, while a lot were perfectly serviceable.

Someone must have made a small fortune.
March 11th, 2015  
s_weichbrodt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Indeed and I would like one although I would prefer the Boxer.

What are the things under the tarpaulins though as they seem to be sporting a fairly large caliber gun and the turrets look oddly square.
At first glance I thought to covered vehicles you are talking about were Geopard SPAA's with their guns and radar removed. However, the shape was still wrong.

Then it dawned upon me. They are training vehicles or Fahrschulpanzer Leopard 1 to use the correct term. Leopard 1's with the turret replaced by a driving platform. The shape appears to match.

March 11th, 2015  
MontyB

I think you have nailed it, it certainly looks to have the more rounded Leopard 1 hull as well.
March 11th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
When my dad was in France after D Day, he mentioned that there were farmers fields packed with German vehicles of all types, tracked and wheeled. Some were basically scrap, while a lot were perfectly serviceable.

Someone must have made a small fortune.
Was this around the battle for the Falaise pocket? The Germans left countless thousands of vehicles there of all types as they tried to escape the encirclement. This closing battle of the Normandy campaign was a resounding allied victory after ~ 2 months of slogging it out against a well trained, entrenched enemy. The allies more than evened the score at Falaise.
March 12th, 2015  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
Was this around the battle for the Falaise pocket? The Germans left countless thousands of vehicles there of all types as they tried to escape the encirclement. This closing battle of the Normandy campaign was a resounding allied victory after ~ 2 months of slogging it out against a well trained, entrenched enemy. The allies more than evened the score at Falaise.
He didn't arrive in France until quite a while after D Day, the fighting had moved inland by then. His job was to pick up German POW's then transport them to POW camps as well as other logistic tasks.

One German prisoner remarked in perfect English ""One day we will be allies against the Russians, you wait and see."" My dad replied, ""Dunno about that mate, but lets get this war over with first."

He wasn't far wrong.
March 12th, 2015  
The Think Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007
Those aren't tanks bro...Marder APC's
Pardon your French! Those aren't Marder APC's either, but rather Marder 1A3 IFV's, fitted out with a RH202 20mm Autocannon and (possible?) a Milan F3 (or F2 )