Supertanks?!?! - Page 4

--

April 9th, 2012  
KevinTheCynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Well I learn something every day, I always thought it was the tank commander that made the shell and target decision...
My time in armoured vehicles was limited to the M113 family and a brief dalliance with a working Centurion that the unit had as a parade piece.

So... I can't state this with total authority but as far as I know, most Western armies allow the gunner to pick targets but the tank commander is also looking for targets and will over-ride the gunner's choice if he sees a higher threat.

Also, the tank commander in the more modern Western tanks can locate a target and then lock the gun to that target because the gunner's sights are slaved to the commander's sights.

As for who selects the type of ammo to be used, I should have been a little more explicit
For the auto-loader situation, the gunner would probably select whatever was appropriate for the target he's tracking but whether that is decided by the commander or the gunner I don't know. However, once the decision to use a specific ammo type is made, the gunner will use his controls to have the auto-loader select the desired shell.
April 9th, 2012  
KevinTheCynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve72
I saw what looked like a fricking huge tank when I was in Utah and one that looked similar in Alabama. One of my buddies also claims to have seen a similar tank in Australia.
At a guess, I'd say it was one of the Abrams MBT family as Australia has them in service now (replacing the Leopard 1 variant we had). In comparison to older Western tanks the Abrams, Challenger and Leopard 2 appear to be pretty damned big - it's probably that boxy shape of hull and turret that makes them look larger.
April 19th, 2012  
uppercut

why can't we use super tanks as defensively deployed tank destroyers?
--
April 19th, 2012  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppercut
why can't we use super tanks as defensively deployed tank destroyers?
If your enemy has projected air dominace over the battlefield you can forget that.
August 12th, 2012  
m551sheridan

we've come a long way baby
August 12th, 2012  
Yossarian

So has the other guys.

August 12th, 2012  
m551sheridan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
So has the other guys.

yepper, was because of these new-fangled toys that I got out of Sheridans and went Infantry... I remember at Ft.Bragg seeing a short film of an A-10 firing on an M-48 tank and just crumpled it so-to-speak.... then we saw films of *Hind* working out.. and I figured, maybe being on the ground was a better option then inside of my *air-dropable* recon vehicle........
August 12th, 2012  
Yossarian

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8W6_0UcQWA&feature=player_detailpage"]The A-Team - Flying Tank - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know, technology progresses in funny ways sometimes...
August 13th, 2012  
m551sheridan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
The A-Team - Flying Tank - YouTube

I don't know, technology progresses in funny ways sometimes...
I have to admit I wanted to see more of that vid... was a mite *roomy* in there... We did have a Sheridan *burn into* the drop zone once.... rumor had it that because we couldn't get the parts we needed for it they decided just to get a new one.... left an impressive hole... turret was over that-a-way a skosh.
August 13th, 2012  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m551sheridan
I have to admit I wanted to see more of that vid... was a mite *roomy* in there... We did have a Sheridan *burn into* the drop zone once.... rumor had it that because we couldn't get the parts we needed for it they decided just to get a new one.... left an impressive hole... turret was over that-a-way a skosh.

Ever seen a Soviet Tank up close? Clammered onto a T 62 at muesum once...

I understand the low profile concept but I couldn't imagine having to spend any length of time squeezed inside one of Comrade Khrushchev's Fighting machines.

Which considering the idea of a super tank which is this threads namesake, it better have standing room in it.