Sunnis or Shi'ite muslims where and why?

Doc.S

I got an question from a colleague (boss) at work today about who is the most violent type of Muslims in this world? Is it Sunni or is it the Shi`ite. As christians we have different grades of violent types of christian values but wich one of theese two types of belivers are generating most of the violence we see today? Is any type of theese different Islamic types of belief system more associated with violence then the other type and why is it like that? My answer was - let`s ask some experts that I have seen speaking about Islam as a religion of peace, love and understanding, togheter with a huge amount of tolerance. My colleague (boss) is a mechanic and have done all that mechanic study but nothing about religion. And wich one of Sunni or the Shi`ite Islamic belivers are the biggest groups in America/South America/Africa/South East Asia/Africa/Balcans/ Europe/Russia? And why are they concentrated as they are in those particular places? :?

Best Regards:
Doc.S
:viking:

i think that the religion angle is the wrong way to think about this, i think that it's a situational or environmental factor that makes a people violent, it is just that religion makes it easier to stir things up sometimes.

here in NZ we have both types of muslims and what little contact i have had with them has been very informative. in christchurch there was even an open day at a mosque to allay some of the fears people had about muslims in a post 9/11 world

just my two cents

I once asked my best friend who is a Muslim what the difference was between the Sunnis and Shi'ites and he told me this...

"The Shi'ites are followers of Mohammed's self appointed succesor and believe that they are thus following the Prophet's will directly. The Sunnis are followers of Mohammed's family who believed that the word of Islam was inherited."

That's obviously a simplification and it's been some years since I asked the question so I may have left something out, but that gives you an idea of where each branch get's it's start from.

The point is: the Shi'ites have a hierarchy, which makes it possible for them to have a leader that is recognized and whose decisions are legitimized.
In Iraq, for instance, Ayatollah Al Sistani. These clerics interpret the Holy Book and speaks out for it. No misunderstanding.
The Sunnis have no such hierarchy, and any imam can call out for violence or riots- unfortunately, no other imam can say "my opinion is more important than his".
Hope it makes sense.

listen to him

Is this not slating a religion?

You can not claim one religion to be more violent than another.

Muslims have their seperation like catholicism does....................cathoilc and chrisitains..........same as sunnis and shi'tes..........thats way i see it. Stop me from getting confused lol

Re: listen to him

Anya1982 said:

You can not claim one religion to be more violent than another. If so then Roman catholics overall this aspect.

Muslims have their seperation like catholicism does....................cathoilc and chrisitains..........same as sunnis and shi'tes..........thats way i see it. Stop me from getting confused lol

Catholics ARE Christians .. it's one in the same. A better example would have been Catholics and Protestants or Southern Baptists and Methodists.

I do not believe anyone is claiming one religion as a whole is more violent, they're asking about different sects of a religion. Practices, principles, ideals, etc.

Is it Sunni or is it the Shi`ite.

With these two choices, I would have to say neither.

Wahhabi fundamentalism.

Re: listen to him

Anya1982 said:

You can not claim one religion to be more violent than another.

You do yourself a dis-service if you are unable to objectively consider ideologies - regigious or otherwise - and make some decisions based on your knowledge and observation of these belief systems

The problem we seem to have in the West is our inability to condemn any
"religion" simply because it is called a "religion"

Of course, we do condemn "cults" - they don't meet our definition of a religion, seemingly because they don't have enough members

So why can't we look at "religions" in the same way?

Either something is good or it is bad - most things are a mix of the two

From this you can decide for yourself if Christianity in 2005 is mostly good and if Islam ( of whatever stripe ) in 2005 is not as good

This is not to say Islam is bad - only to try to understand why Islam has given rise to so much intollerance around the world

Looking at the conflicts in the world today you will find that a disproportionate number of them occur in area's where Islam meets another faith ( or indeed where 2 forms of Islam meet )

Surely this is worthy of examination?

Or are we forbidden to look at this simply because Islam is a "religion" and therefor not open to criticism - which is the Muslim attitude toward the matter

"Or are we forbidden to look at this simply because Islam is a "religion" and therefor not open to criticism - which is the Muslim attitude toward the matter"

That's just not correct. You're encompassing an entire religion from the actions of various Muslims. My friend for example, is quite willing to find things in the Muslim religion to be criticized. He also criticizes those he feels have debased and misinterpreted Muslim law. Jihad for example is the wrong term for what the Wahhabi fundamentalists are doing. He explained to me what the correct definition is and I can't remember it clearly enough to post it here now. I will later once I've asked him about it again. Let me be clear about this, however, continue to lump all Muslims into one catagory and you'll get nothing but an arguement from me.

Very interesting guys I say - Have I got this right - The part of the religion Islam that is generating most of the violence we see today is the the Sunnis that not have a hierarchy as the Shi'ites do have and thats why Sunnis today because of some radical Sunni imam`s make this part of Islam today nr one on the market to generating most of the violence that we see today in different parts of the world, including our own part of the world since Jihad have moved outside the middle eastern countrys and hit us In Spain and the U.S.A and even more attacks put down by different U.K police and security agencys and other European police and security agencys?

And the belife difference between the Sunni and the Shi'ites is this -

Charge_7 wrote Shi`ites:
"The Shi'ites are followers of Mohammed's self appointed succesor and believe that they are thus following the Prophet's will directly.

Charge_7 wrote Sunnis:
The Sunnis are followers of Mohammed's family who believed that the word of Islam was inherited."

Anya1982 wrote:

sometimes I almost get frightened :|

Ms Anya1982 I just want to tell you that this is legitimate and reasonable questions, I dont know what others opinion is but I think it is fair questions and I think more people then my colleague is interested to get answerd. I belive in Democray and the Openness in a democray that should involve all different types of questions. If this is to slating a religion I think honestly you need to look at the questions asked over here.

The only thing I need is a honest answer on my questions and that is something basic in a free democray and the openness in our society today. I think that it would be to kill the Openness in our socity if we should make up special rules for every question about different religions in this world as fast as something got uncomfortable to talk about.

I am only after the answers on this issue and I think that more people should join this thread and share there knowledge on this subject becuse in the end. More information - More knowledge - Less missunderstandings and less missguided interpret and assumptions on the subject. And as the Openness I have learn to live with this basic democratic right is that political philosophy of openness or the free marketplace of ideas, the availability of information through a free press, and free expression in all fields of human endeavor makes this world understand other political/religious/philosophical belife systems and that is something importent In my humble opinion.

I dont see anyone slating anyone on this question, I think I have got a lot of intelligent answers, and I would be greatful if there could be more information on the question: And wich one of Sunni or the Shi`ite Islamic belivers are the biggest groups in America/South America/Africa/South East Asia/Africa/Balcans/ Europe/Russia? And why are they concentrated as they are in those particular places? If there is nothing more to add to the first questions that is, and if I have got the first one right? :D

Thanks all:
Doc.S
:viking:

Charge_7 said:
"Or are we forbidden to look at this simply because Islam is a "religion" and therefor not open to criticism - which is the Muslim attitude toward the matter"

That's just not correct. You're encompassing an entire religion from the actions of various Muslims. My friend for example, is quite willing to find things in the Muslim religion to be criticized. He also criticizes those he feels have debased and misinterpreted Muslim law. Jihad for example is the wrong term for what the Wahhabi fundamentalists are doing. He explained to me what the correct definition is and I can't remember it clearly enough to post it here now. I will later once I've asked him about it again. Let me be clear about this, however, continue to lump all Muslims into one catagory and you'll get nothing but an arguement from me.

Even if you want to interpet my words to mean I am encompassing an entire religion in my criticism - is that wrong?

I am sure your friend is quite a nice person and he follows an interpetation of Islam that is not anything like that of the Wahhabi sorts who are fundamentalist zealots out to kill us - but does that mean he is practicing "true" Islam - or are the fundamentalist zealots practising "true" Islam?

Just because you don't recognize specific instructions to kill or enslave non-believers or to extend the realm of faith by the sword as part of a legitimate "religion" does not mean that this is not part of any religion

It is perfectly clear that the majority of Muslims don't participate in Jihad and other aspects of Islam - just as it is clear that it is much more than a small minority that does support such things

The Sura's ( the interpetations of the Koran ) are understood in order of release - so if an early Sura calls Jihad an "inner struggle" but a later one calls it "forceable conversion by the sword" it is the later one that takes the form of "religious law"

Much as Christians observe the New Testament as the final version - so when the OT says "An eye for an eye" and the NT says "Turn the other cheek" - its the later instruction that is to be followed.

In the case of Islam - many of the early Sura's are the "cheek" kind - while the later ones are the "eye" variety

This relates to the circumstances of M'hmed's position - early on when he had few followers he was more accomodating to others - later, when he could, Islam became more a matter of "join or die"

Of course, it is easier just to ignore all of this and go on treating Islam as a "religion" and therefor off-limits to any criticism

Easier to just accuse anyone of "bigotry" who even trys to understand why while not all Muslims are terrorists - just about all terrorists are Muslims

Thats what Muslim groups routinely do

Knowledge is power - so understand that Jihad has different meanings - just as Islam does ( you will be told it means "peace" - it actually means "submission" - which is a kind of peace I grant you ) and that constructive criticism is desperatly needed in the Muslim world

Doc.S said:
Very interesting guys I say - Have I got this right - The part of the religion Islam that is generating most of the violence we see today is the the Sunnis

You're forgetting the many other sects of Islam, Sunni and Shi'ite are not the the only two, however the most popular. It's the sub-sects, I've found, to have the most violent teachines. These have largely branched off on their own and are growing.

Italian Guy said:
Wahabism might not the sweetest version of all, but check out what Deobandi is all about http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/intro/islam-deobandi.htm. To have an idea, the Taliban was Deobandi Muslim.

Yes, Deoband teachings are extremely fundementalistic, and similiar to Wahhabis in many ways - though they are generally not as agressive, in principle and teachings, that is. In other words, they aren't as likely to chop your head off for being Western or non-Muslim.

The Taliban was a right fringe of Deobandi in that along with the fundamentalist ideals, they also incorporated much of their own culture, making them far more dangerous.

Hi,
Wahabism might not be the sweetest version of all, but check out what Deobandi is all about http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/intro/islam-deobandi.htm. To have an idea, the Taliban was Deobandi Muslim.

Italian Guy Can you Edit your Post and remove the dot (.) at the End of your URL ..............it's not opening Due to it here

Deoband are Sunni Muslims .................you are kinda going into too Much Smaller Sub Divisions

Major fractons of Islam are

#Sunni

#Shiia

#Ahmadi

# Sufi

# Salafi

rest of them are Too small to be considered .

Peace
-=SF_13=-

There was an interesting piece on this issue some time ago basically argueing that rather than a Protestant style reformation, what Islam really needs is a Pope

A leader who can lay down the law and make it stick

If Jihad is an inner struggle - and Fatwa is only for religious matters - and Islam does mean Peace - well then, what we need is for someone with authority to come out and say this

Unfortunately - the closest we have to a Pope in Islam is the Shiite version, Sistani in Iran for example, and he most certainly is not saying any of those things

So again, why the reluctance to examine Islam - the ideology - in light of these facts?

Because Islam is more than a religion - it is a political and social structure and as such qualifies as an ideology

Or we can re-classify any number of other ideologies as "religions" - why not consider the USSR and its cult of personality around Stalin as a religion?

SwordFish_13 said:
rest of them are Too small to be considered .

The sub-sects are the most dangerous .. and have thus far, wreaked the most havoc on the Western World. I'd say they aren't too small to be considered.

"Easier to just accuse anyone of "bigotry" who even trys to understand why while not all Muslims are terrorists - just about all terrorists are Muslims

Thats what Muslim groups routinely do"

Seems like a pretty good definition of "bigot" to me. Also I never once said Islam wasn't open to criticism, in fact, I pointed out that even my friend finds things to criticize about it. It seems you are not open to criticism because you've determined it all already. Muslim = bad. Well it just isn't so.

Charge_7 said:
It seems you are not open to criticism because you've determined it all already. Muslim = bad. Well it just isn't so.

Thanks for inventing things that you think I said

Since I never said any such thing - I'd ask that you either retract the statement or show where I said it.

Too much to ask I suppose

The point being made is that one can look critically at Islam ( or Christianity, or Bhudism - whatever ) as an ideology if it meets the criteria to be considered as such

I suggest that you study the topic a bit more before deciding to throw around accusations of bigotry

Perhaps read a book or two on the subject - and then you won't have to depend on your friends interpetation of Islam to be the foundation for your opinions

So lets be clear - what you are saying is basically

"One shouldn't criticize Islam as a whole because a minority is mis-interpeting it to commit violence in its name"

Would that be close to correct?

If so - on what basis of knowledge do you claim that the Islam of OBL say is "wrong" and that of "your friend" is right?

And what % of muslims support the activities of OBL, or Hamas or the Chechen "separatists" of Beslan - in your opinion?

I don't want to drag you into a discussion you are not interested in - if your understanding and interest in the subject goes no farther than "condeming any religion is wrong" then there really is no point

Back