Su-30 upgrade restricts Indian air force fleet

rock45

Su-30 upgrade restricts Indian air force fleet
Indian air force efforts to bring its fleet of around 70 Sukhoi Su-30 fighters to a common standard appears to have degraded the service's available number of aircraft to fewer than 50.
With its initial batch of 18 Su-30Ks having been retired after less than a decade of use, and licensed production of the Su-30MKI taking place at Hindustan Aeronautics' Nasik facility at a current rate of around 13 a year, standardisation work to around nine early Russian-built MKIs has restricted India's frontline fleet. The work includes avionics and thrust-vectoring performance modifications, and replacement of the aircraft's mission computer with an indigenous design.

getAsset.aspx

Full story
http://www.flightglobal.com/article...upgrade-restricts-indian-air-force-fleet.html

HAL falling behind

It could be more then just falling behind I think HAL industry has bitten off more then it can chew. I think there involved with too many projects to begin with and upper management needs changing. It seems in the last four or five years every decisions is painfully slow cost overruns haven't been accounted for and other problems as well. I find it hard to believe that Russia awarded them with production contracts for different parts of Flankers. I assume Russia couldn't keep up with there Flankers orders and support. I feel HAL has jumped into the Russian contract at the expense of there own and this is where management must be held responsible. One can only imagine how HAL would handle taking on a new type Mig-35, Rafale, EF2000, F-16, etc plus maintaining there core Flanker fleet plus another six or seven large projects going on? From the outside I'm seeing upper management problems currently so maybe a shake up is needed. Maybe somebody knows more on how much India's government is involved in HAL decisions? Malaysia has contracts with India already and Indonesia came to agreements but not sure if contracts were signed. Russia wants India to help with parts and service for Algeria new Flanker order. It's a bad sign for HAL management when there own Flankers fleet isn't doing well. Maybe there sales personnel should slow down?:wink:

Last edited:
More for HAL

To me it will be just another project they fall behind and then complain about the cost. There was a replacement for the An-32 being designed a few years back by India-Russia which failed right after the press release. I know it's not helping Russia having Brazil look over at India, a Flanker users for years and seeing half the fleet not used because of HAL slow work. India on paper already pick up Russian Flanker parts contracts and even service contracts. I would feel all warm and fuzzy having one of the HAL service contracts right about now. :smile:

Still stand by what I said they bite off more then they can chew.

Back