To Stop Using Tobacco

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
I have been trying to quit my use of snuff. I have been using it for about 40 years, plus minus a year or so. It's hard to quit, really hard. After getting gout, which is really painful, I decided to quit drinking beer the only beverage with alcohol I like, I don't see any reason for drinking something I don't like only to get alcohol. Anyway, the times I have tried to quit with snuff before failed usually when I got drunk. Therefore, I take the opportunity to quit now. To quit messes up my sleeping badly. I usually wake between 3 or 4.

The nicotine leaves the body after two, maybe three weeks. The 40 year old habit doesn't disappear.

Good luck, is there a non-nicotine option you could use so that you only break one habit at a time?

(never been a smoker at any stage in my life so I know nothing about the effects of nicotine).

Good luck, is there a non-nicotine option you could use so that you only break one habit at a time?

(never been a smoker at any stage in my life so I know nothing about the effects of nicotine).

There are several different low nicotine products to use. I was using snuff, so I have a need to have something under my over lip. They look like small tea bags. Chewing gum is another option, but I don't like to use chewing gums, the one with nicotine taste bad and normal chewing gum mess up the stomach. There are also patches, but I have never tried those, so I don't know if they are good.

I was a very heavy smoker up to 60 a day. I then contracted a bug in 2015 which ended up in pneumonia which caused me to pass away twice, doctors and nurses brought me back. I was basically unconscious for two weeks, with consciousness every few days. A doctor found out that I was a heavy smoker and told me "Either quit or die." As I was unconscious most of the time, that was what weaned me off nicotine. I cannot suggest getting pneumonia is a good way of quitting, but it worked for me.

Last edited:
You should try it the next time you are in Sweden. Ask for General Louse when you are buying snus

I had hoped to have been back in Germany this year but the government is determined to keep us hostage here, we can get out of the country but it may be up to two years before we can get back.

As for Snus, there is a greater chance I will become addicted to the smoked herring. :|

I was a very heavy smoker up to 60 a day. I then contracted a bug in 2015 which ended up in pneumonia which caused me to pass away twice, doctors and nurses brought me back. I was basically unconscious for two weeks, with consciousness every few days. A doctor found out that I was a heavy smoker and told me "Either quit or die." As I was unconscious most of the time, that was what weaned me off nicotine. I cannot suggest getting pneumonia is a good way of quitting, but it worked for me.
My Dad smoked 2 packs a day. Had a partial rupture of an aneurism in the Aorta, should have killed him but he had just enough body fat at the location that kept it from blowing wide open and bleeding out. They fixed the aneurism but he went into "lung shock", hadn't heard of it before but your lungs start producing fluid & you tend to drown as a result. They had him in a medically induced coma in ICU for a month before his lungs started working right. He lost most of his muscle tone and took 6 months to recover. Doc said if he had never smoked he would have been out of ICU in a couple of days and home in a week. Did cure his smoking. Vaping is better than smoking, and probably better than dipping.

I'm still staying out of it. I still get severe withdraws. My mind is playing games with me. I got a severe gout flare a few months ago and decided to quit drinking alcohol, but I have failed with it. I have been drinking beer and wine after the gout flare, but much lesser amount of it.

I'm still staying out of it. I still get severe withdraws. My mind is playing games with me. I got a severe gout flare a few months ago and decided to quit drinking alcohol, but I have failed with it. I have been drinking beer and wine after the gout flare, but much lesser amount of it.

I have no experience personally with smoking although both parent smoked when I was a kid and both managed to give it up cold turkey, drinking I did a bit of that through my youth and never really gave it up although I found I reduced my intake significantly once the kids came on the scene.

Probably my closest relatable experience would be weight where I went from 65kg to 120kg but I never really had the drive to lose it until a few years ago (once the kids became mobile), I am now back to 75kg but the one thing I have learned (and I suspect smoking or drinking is no different) is that it is purely about your ability to focus on a goal, it is all about the mind

I find I have to constantly watch my diet and exercise levels otherwise I revert to old habits, my advice what its worth would be to focus on goal at a time, by all means work on other things but focus on the what you see as the biggest problem.

It is impossible for me to gain weight. I eat like four fully grown men, and yet I still about 80Kg and I am 191cm.

I heard NZ is banning tobacco. I assume they are banning smoking. I don't know if the Kiwis are using any other type of tobacco.

It is impossible for me to gain weight. I eat like four fully grown men, and yet I still about 80Kg and I am 191cm.

I heard NZ is banning tobacco. I assume they are banning smoking. I don't know if the Kiwis are using any other type of tobacco.

Yeah it is about time someone made a decision about smoking, they have continually raised taxes to ridiculous levels and it hasn't stopped people smoking.
My view is that if smoking is as bad for your health as they say then it should be banned and if it isn't then it is horribly over taxed.

Back