Springfield Sniper Rifle vs. K98 Sniper Rifle - Page 3




 
--
 
August 20th, 2008  
The Other Guy
 
 
The springfield was more accurate, but the Mauser had a WAY better scope...
August 21st, 2008  
major liability
 
 
What about the Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle? It's probably got more kills than any other firearm of that class considering how widely used it is.
August 21st, 2008  
The Other Guy
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by major liability
What about the Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle? It's probably got more kills than any other firearm of that class considering how widely used it is.
The only thing I really know about it is that the scope was better designed so that bullets could be loaded in 5-round clips instead of one at a time like the springfield and mauser.
--
August 21st, 2008  
Bacara
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
The springfield was more accurate, but the Mauser had a WAY better scope...
actually the germans scopes sucked because they were very hard to adjust in battle for wind and range, as they needed a special tool. I would have to go with the Mosin Neagant as i own both a K98 and Neagant, and in battle the Neagant killed far more people and won. Simple, reliable, accurate, and hard hitting the perfect combination
August 21st, 2008  
senojekips
 
 
From the little that I know of the Moisin Nagant I find it hard to even put them in the same category, The Moisin looks pretty basic, not even of the standard of the SMLE Mk III*, (which incidentally, shoots very well also) whereas the Kar. 98k gave the impression of good workmanship and was nice to handle and use.

But anyway, that is not the question. We are comparing the Springfield 06 and the Kar 98k.
August 21st, 2008  
Bacara
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
From the little that I know of the Moisin Nagant I find it hard to even put them in the same category, The Moisin looks pretty basic, not even of the standard of the SMLE Mk III*, (which incidentally, shoots very well also) whereas the Kar. 98k gave the impression of good workmanship and was nice to handle and use.

But anyway, that is not the question. We are comparing the Springfield 06 and the Kar 98k.
then how did one man get over confirmed 400 kills, included at least 11 german sniper armed with the K98
August 21st, 2008  
senojekips
 
 
That's nothing to do with the rifle, who's to say he wouldn't have got as many or more armed with a Type 99 Arisaka? That's the man, time, place and target density.

If for example we were comparing the merits of the P51 Mustang and the Spitfire, what has that to do with the fact that Erich Hartmann was credited with 352 kills in a Messerschmit 109?

Never the less, to answer your question, have a look at the retail prices paid for a Springfield, a Mauser and a Moisin. Now I can find plenty of Moisins for $65, (with rare models higher), Springfields seem to average $450- $550, and a single filthy looking Mauser $485.
(Source http://www.gunbroker.com)

I think that will give you a more honest opinion of the Moisin Nagant as a rifle.
August 21st, 2008  
MontyB
 
 
Holy crap I think I paid $30 for my Mauser and $85 for my Enfield which is in much worse condition.

Of the two rifles I would take the K98 any day, while I am not fond of the mechanics of the German scope I am convinced the optics are far better than anything else on the market at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Got a question for you all.

My uncle back in the States has a 98K my Grandad brought back from Germany as a 'souvenir'. Actually Grandad brought back a few odd pieces including a Napoleon era French Rifle, a 1873 Winchester, the K98, a German P38, and a few others.

Anyway I saw it about 15 years ago, my uncle isn't into guns. So it was simply kept in the attic and it was just in terrible condition. I know squat about gunsmithing, but is that something that can be restored? Can you do it yourself or do you need to take it to a pro.

The rifle is a original WWII piece, not a reproduction.
Personally I think if the weapon has any value to you or you intend to sell it you should get it restored professionally.
There is a lot of tidying type work you can do yourself but to put it back in near original condition I would leave it to the experts.
August 21st, 2008  
Bacara
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
That's nothing to do with the rifle, who's to say he wouldn't have got as many or more armed with a Type 99 Arisaka? That's the man, time, place and target density.

If for example we were comparing the merits of the P51 Mustang and the Spitfire, what has that to do with the fact that Erich Hartmann was credited with 352 kills in a Messerschmit 109?

Never the less, to answer your question, have a look at the retail prices paid for a Springfield, a Mauser and a Moisin. Now I can find plenty of Moisins for $65, (with rare models higher), Springfields seem to average $450- $550, and a single filthy looking Mauser $485.
(Source http://www.gunbroker.com)

I think that will give you a more honest opinion of the Moisin Nagant as a rifle.
thats becuase the mosin is an ugly gun for american tastes, and is far less known the 03 or the K98.
My father and I own a '03, three Garands, a K98, two Enfields, and three Mosin Neagants. ohh not to mention a Swiss K31. My favorite is the Finnish Neagant, but the most accurate is by far the K31, who would have though. So i have fired them all numerous times, and love the Neagant.
August 21st, 2008  
senojekips
 
 
It's probably an ugly rifle for any taste, but ugly has nothing to do with it when people buy these rifles to make into sporters. Go and get some quotes on the price of just the three actions in question, and once again you will find out what the average shooter thinks of the Moisin. I would say that the number of Mauser actioned Sporting rifles would outnumber the ones based on a Moisin action by a factor of 50-100:1.

The glaring truth of the matter is that if they were any good their price would reflect that fact. People are not going to pay 10 times the price for a rifle that is only a little or no better than it is.