Springfield Sniper Rifle vs. K98 Sniper Rifle - Page 2

--

September 30th, 2005  
Missileer

I have an M1891 Mosin-Nagant that I paid $139.00 for complete with bayonet, tools, shoulder strap, and ammo pouches. It is in great shape and has either been cleaned and reblued or in an armory. If it shoots good with iron sights, I'll try to convert it to a sniper rifle.
September 30th, 2005  
Springfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I have an M1891 Mosin-Nagant that I paid $139.00 for complete with bayonet, tools, shoulder strap, and ammo pouches. It is in great shape and has either been cleaned and reblued or in an armory. If it shoots good with iron sights, I'll try to convert it to a sniper rifle.
Wow, that's awesome. Convert it to a sniper! Yeeaaaahhh! 8)
November 2nd, 2005  
FULLMETALJACKET

k98 but the springfeild is still pretty darn good
--
November 3rd, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET
If the rifling is good, all of the mentioned are great and depend on the sharp eye of the shooter.
November 3rd, 2005  
Springfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET
If the rifling is good, all of the mentioned are great and depend on the sharp eye of the shooter.
Very good point. Seems as if everyone concentrates on how good the actual weapon is, when, really, a lot of how good it is has to do with how good the person's shooting is.

February 20th, 2007  
senojekips

The K98, I dunno why, as I have never fired the Springfield. I have fired a lot of rounds out of the Kar. 98K and I loved it It's just a personal thing.

My 98 was a 1942 BRNO and it had all the finesse of Brno's sporting rifles, it was beautifully fitted and finished (for a military rifle) with a chrome lined barrel. Due to the difficulty in reliably procuring ammo, it ultimately ended up just as an action completely remodeled in .308 Norma magnum. A fellow shooter liked it so much he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
February 20th, 2007  
mmarsh

Got a question for you all.

My uncle back in the States has a 98K my Grandad brought back from Germany as a 'souvenir'. Actually Grandad brought back a few odd pieces including a Napoleon era French Rifle, a 1873 Winchester, the K98, a German P38, and a few others.

Anyway I saw it about 15 years ago, my uncle isn't into guns. So it was simply kept in the attic and it was just in terrible condition. I know squat about gunsmithing, but is that something that can be restored? Can you do it yourself or do you need to take it to a pro.

The rifle is a original WWII piece, not a reproduction.
February 20th, 2007  
senojekips

Do it yourself, A screwdriver, a container to hold all of the pieces, a box of steel wool and a pint of diesel fuel, some clean rags, linseed oil, and you can do wonders. So long as it's not badly rusted or the woodwork hasn't started to rot you can do 90% of the work yourself. Bluing is easy, professional hot bluing or Parkerizing is a little better. Go for it. Just don't overdo it, remember this is a military rifle, not a high priced sporter.

Pull it apart, clean everything, oil the steel parts with a good quality gun oil, rub down the woodwork and give several very light coats of Linseed oil with plenty of time between to dry then re assemble.

Don't hurry, work in a clean environment where dropped pins or screws can be easily found, and don't be frightened to ask others for advice.

Be careful disassembling the bolt.
August 20th, 2008  
billcavazos

Topic: Springfield VS Mauser

Gee CanadianCombat must definately be a politician. All that talk and he never mentioned which rifle he preferred. I myself would pic the K98k and that is because I like the way it looks much better. Both the Springfield and Mauser are perfect choices. It all comes down to the shooter. Both are very accurate probably the edge to accuracy going to the Springfield. But the optics on the Mauser were usually superior. But then the 30.06 is a more accurate cartridge. So there...
August 20th, 2008  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcavazos
Gee CanadianCombat must definately be a politician. All that talk and he never mentioned which rifle he preferred. I myself would pic the K98k and that is because I like the way it looks much better. Both the Springfield and Mauser are perfect choices. It all comes down to the shooter. Both are very accurate probably the edge to accuracy going to the Springfield. But the optics on the Mauser were usually superior. But then the 30.06 is a more accurate cartridge. So there...
I guess that would make me the typical voter, I hadn't even noticed.