Space Warfare

DarkRain

Interesting, no? How will the ships be designed? Weapons? Tactics? Will there be carriers? What do you guys think?

I think one of the most important factor to take into consideration is that there is no stealth in space - because of the extremely low background temperature, any heat-seeking weapon will easily lock onto enemy spacecraft. Proposed 'active stealth' mechanisms are no use either, as there is no gas to ionize. This is likely to mean 'first strike' capability will be a very important design factor.
Also, because of the distance involved, even weapons such as Railguns will give the enemy a fair warning they are being fired upon, so unguided weapons may be totally phased out - a more mobile craft can simply evade the projectile.
With regards to Antimatter weapons which come up a lot - Weaponizing Antimatter efficiently is very difficult. The explosion of the 'front' on the projectile hitting the enemy propels the rest of it away, which means the most likely projectile shape is a large, flat disk in order to ensure the majority explodes. However, the creates issues with the firing mechanism, so missiles using antimatter warheads are possibly a viable solution - but then you have to contain the Antimatter, which would add considerable expense.
Spare Warfare is likely to be a lot more complex I'd wager.

From that report I can see space warfare as being very unlikely to happen. It's kind of uprising how much of our weaponry in warfare relies on the laws of physics and gravity that don't exist in space. lol.

Back