Something I just realized about the M8... - Page 2

--

January 16th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by r031Button
The issue is, however, the loss of the bayonet lug...whichis mounted in a completely different fashion then a 40mm GL or anything else, just do to the nature of the tool. I don't like the M8 personally, it looks liek a flimsy plastic piece of startreck crap.
You do realize that is what all the infantrymen 60 years ago said about the M16 don't you?
January 16th, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Quote:
Originally Posted by r031Button
The issue is, however, the loss of the bayonet lug...whichis mounted in a completely different fashion then a 40mm GL or anything else, just do to the nature of the tool. I don't like the M8 personally, it looks liek a flimsy plastic piece of startreck crap.
You do realize that is what all the infantrymen 60 years ago said about the M16 don't you?
I hope it wasn't 60 years ago. The M14 was the main infantry weapon when I was in the Army. Even though there was an AR15 in 1950, the US didn't adopt the M16 until 1967. I remember hearing news from some of the guys in VietNam about a "plastic" rifle. I don't think it was well received.
January 16th, 2005  
Focus Fate

I dont see why it would be so hard for them to put room in there for a bayonette.

Quote:
it looks liek a flimsy plastic piece of startreck crap.
That's pretty funny LOL

Personally from what I've heard and seen about it, it seems really good and like it would do a lot of good. Its size and lack of a bayonette are what worry me.
--
January 17th, 2005  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Remember that making the gun shorter is A VERY GOOD THING.
Says who? One of the major problems with the M8 is the fact that it IS so short.
January 18th, 2005  
A Can of Man

We'll be expecting to see more and more urban warfare in the near future. In such scenarios, a shorter rifle would be better as it would truly be the compromise between rifle and submachine gun.
Also it's good for short people like myself. hehe
January 18th, 2005  
Charge 7

The original M8 was a pack Howitzer. Looking at this thread had me thinking damn, the guy who could do shoulder arms with THAT!
January 21st, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
I hope it wasn't 60 years ago. The M14 was the main infantry weapon when I was in the Army. Even though there was an AR15 in 1950, the US didn't adopt the M16 until 1967. I remember hearing news from some of the guys in VietNam about a "plastic" rifle. I don't think it was well received.
You mean 64' the Air Force had them in 64' the Army in 67'.
January 26th, 2005  
Knightraptor

In CQB shorters guns are nicer, in terrain where you actually have 300+ yards in front of you to see your enemy the longer rifle would be more ideal. And that is why they are making both versions. Otherwise its just wasted barrel length.
January 26th, 2005  
EagleZtrike

Ah I never knew it was made by Heckler and Koch. I do think Americans should use their own american made guns.
January 26th, 2005  
Knightraptor

Its being developed by HK-USA