So why do people hate Israel? - Page 49

--

March 26th, 2012  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
If I'm not mistaken the SA-6 was very dangerous in the beginning of the war. Israel developed special tactics to evade them but with not much succes. They then send a special task force to "take" one from Egypt, analysed it and build countermeasures. The SAM problem was solved.
From what I remember; the IDF army was able to destroy the majority of the air defense when they reached the Suez and crossed the channel, btw isn't the SA-6 a low altitude SAM? Mostly fitted on vehicles such as the BRDM
March 26th, 2012  
senojekips

Quote:
The usual rhetoric without prove and only wrong assumptions, again with photo's (not clips this time) without any explanation. Those guys could be criminals, peaceful protesters or religious fanatics attacking Palestinians.
Yeah, I thought you'd say something really stupid like that. Photos and personal accounts are not proof enough. And of course with you living in an International news vacuum you have never heard about these things.

So based on that, I guess you say the same about the Holocaust?
March 26th, 2012  
benaakatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I meant a properly trained military. If I remember correctly the Egyptians out ran their anti air cover.
you misread my post. they were piloted by russians. so israeli plots went toe to toe and beat a superpower's pilots
--
March 27th, 2012  
YuriBierazo

Everyone is commenting on Israel's military power but if a country like Poland got 11 billion a year from the U.S. and given nuclear weapons then Poland would have a pretty good army as well. Its all the funding Israel gets that makes them decent.
March 27th, 2012  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by benaakatz
you misread my post. they were piloted by russians. so israeli plots went toe to toe and beat a superpower's pilots
What difference does it make, Russian pilots had no combat experience either at that time?
March 27th, 2012  
Ariphrase

for sure need to study more
March 27th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
end 2004:
687 enemy airplanes have been shot down in dogfights since Israel`s birth. Only 23 Israeli planes have been shot down by enemy planes since 1948 - a statistic which puts the dogfight victory ratio between Israel and its Arab neighbors at a whopping 30:1.
18 enemy planes were shot down in dogfights in the 1948 War of Independence. A single Israeli plane may have been shot down in a dogfight over the Galilee, but the exact circumstances of its demise were never established in certainty.
Seven enemy planes were shot down in the course of the Sinai Campaign, without a single Israeli plane being shot down.
In the Six Day War, 60 enemy planes and 12 IAF planes were shot down.
The War of Attrition saw 111 enemy planes and four Israeli planes shot down.
277 enemy planes were shot down in the Yom Kippur War - accounting for over a third of the IAF`s total kills since 1948. Of the planes lost by the IAF in the war, only five were shot down in dogfights.
88 enemy planes were shot down in the Peace for Galilee Campaign. Not one Israeli plane was shot down in a dogfight.
126 enemy planes were shot down in dogfights in the years between the wars - most of them in the 70`s.
The IAF lost only two planes in dogfights between the wars, in 1959 and in 1964. The stories of the IAF aircraft`s first kills are here by presented to you.

Israeli airforce kills
Yes I agree, but they have never come up against (shall we call it for arguments sake) a first world military. With all due respect, I wouldn't consider the majority of Arab air Forces 1st World. I wonder how good they would be up against US Air Force or RAF crewed fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
From what I remember; the IDF army was able to destroy the majority of the air defense when they reached the Suez and crossed the channel, btw isn't the SA-6 a low altitude SAM? Mostly fitted on vehicles such as the BRDM
I am totally out of touch now Ghost, I have no idea. Sorry mate.
March 27th, 2012  
Der Alte

Britt, Perhaps this page can give an answer.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htc.../20120320.aspx
March 27th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte
Britt, Perhaps this page can give an answer.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htc.../20120320.aspx
Very interesting link Opa. Thank you.
But it still begs the question, could the Israeli military stand up against a first world military? I'm wondering how the Israeli produced armour such as the Merkava would stand up to British Challenger 2 and the US M1 Abrams.

It does astonish me that so many western governments cut back in vital training. I was very surprised that the US cut back on it's top gun and red flag training, Thankfully they are getting the funding again.
March 27th, 2012  
benaakatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Very interesting link Opa. Thank you.
But it still begs the question, could the Israeli military stand up against a first world military? I'm wondering how the Israeli produced armour such as the Merkava would stand up to British Challenger 2 and the US M1 Abrams.

It does astonish me that so many western governments cut back in vital training. I was very surprised that the US cut back on it's top gun and red flag training, Thankfully they are getting the funding again.
The merkava is considered to be among the best MBTs in the world. It's trophy active protection system

The Institute for Defense Analyses analyzed 15 active protection systems, including Trophy and Quick Kill, and found Trophy to be the top system. In March 2006, Pentagon testers at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Dahlgren tested Trophy. An official involved with the tests told NBC that Trophy “worked in every case. The only anomaly was that in one test, the Trophy round hit the RPG’s tail instead of its head. But according to our test criteria, the system was 30 for 30.” (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18356061/)

pretty scary tank to go up against if it was armed with trophy. the next lebanon war will look a lot different