SMART ARTILLERY AMMO

Short. Always had wonder what end of the laser designator it would pick. Heebie Jeebies. :shock:

03USMC said:
Short. Always had wonder what end of the laser designator it would pick. Heebie Jeebies. :shock:

Yeah, that's a problem, just remember to keeps the guns to your back! :shock: Forward designation is a little :cen: ing dicey......

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
03USMC said:
Plus luggin the MULE plus luggin yer load out. What fun.

Yeah, 200 pounds of crap in cases that were barely humpable!!

But it was Hi tech. And the designator it self had that sporty shoulder bag :)

leandros said:
AlexKall said:
The excaliber.

US - Swedish cooperation.

This is also one of Raytheon's projects

Is that the same technology as used in the "Strix"?

Dont know about the technology, if its the same type as the excaliber. I'll look around. I'm guessing the Excaliber will have new technology or atleast updates from that of the Strix 1994 old technology. :)

AlexKall said:
Dont know about the technology, if its the same type as the excaliber. I'll look around. I'm guessing the Excaliber will have new technology or atleast updates from that of the Strix 1994 old technology. :)

Any basis in the rumours that the Americans copied the technology of the "top attack"-capability of the BILL to use for their TOW.

leandros said:
AlexKall said:

Any basis in the rumours that the Americans copied the technology of the "top attack"-capability of the BILL to use for their TOW.

Have never heared that before. They could have gotten the technology from it as its a SAAB Bofors, Bofors is part of United Defence, but thats just a guess how and why it would be so if that was the case.

Brilliant idea. Missiles are expensive and they have theirlimitations. Why use a missile to take out a vehicle if you can lob a chea(er) arty round into thevicinity and guide it to the target?

I am told by some of the 13F(fire support spec) in my unit that copperheads are being phased out, are 13F's shot several hundred of them in iraq for training. I bealive to get rid of extra inventory. A gps round would probably make fire missions a little quicker and allow for more of a "first round on target" giving the enemy less time to react to enemy observers. still doesn't eliminate human error, some dumb ass is going to put in the friendly op's grid to the war head.
In a iraq some butter bar transposed a grid and sent a fire mission into some one's farm I think they airbursted 5x 155 rounds over some farmer's place. I don't know if i would trust the fire control guys with my grid if i knew they had those things.

Thats whats good with the Strix round, use imaging technology to determain if its an enemy or friendly and homes in on the enemy tank :)

Question is what it does if its targeted in an area with only friendlys, self destrukt? Interesting :?:

Dont know if it can be fired from a artillary unit or not.

On the other hand thats what Excaliber does to heh

The Swedish version of the Excaliber will also use a data link so that its path can be reprogramed. Don't think the USA was going for that as the data link system wasn't built/done yet.

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
You didn't like the laser designated round? Or did the word "SHORT" come into play too often....

i had a problem with short, since short meant a round exploding about 80 meters away.

The problem I have with smart artillery is the problem of a fin failing to deploy. With regular artillery, there is nothing to bring the round really off course. With smart ARTY, if a fin fails to deploy, the round could end up 1000 meters away.

I hope that new round spends a lot of time in the impact area

Rather than sharing your OP with you? The Copperheads were bad for wanting to drop in yer hip pocket.

03USMC said:
Rather than sharing your OP with you? The Copperheads were bad for wanting to drop in yer hip pocket.

Hence the forward to leeward lase profile....better to be on high ground with the round over your head the the designator pointing down..... :shock:

Back