Sixty years on, the Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunal remembered - Page 2

--

October 23rd, 2019  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
That raises a question, where are the bodies? According to the Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) the amount of MIA's and presumed dead are about 1.2 million and 1 million of them are reported MIA on the Eastern Front.
I suspect that most were prisoners of the Soviets.
October 24th, 2019  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
I suspect that most were prisoners of the Soviets.
Yep or out righted killed on the spot. The figures provided by Bacque don't add up. If the "Other Losses" mean 700 000 to 1 million additional deaths, where are the remains of these dead Germans.
October 26th, 2019  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Yep or out righted killed on the spot. The figures provided by Bacque don't add up. If the "Other Losses" mean 700 000 to 1 million additional deaths, where are the remains of these dead Germans.

There are a number of criticisms of the statistics presented in these books the one I tend to support is that the number of deaths is accurate however it is representitive of the state Germany was in at the end of the war and not Allied actions post war in other words it is representitive of the number of German soldiers and civilians who died between May 1945 and 1946 of wounds and injuries sustained during the war and not of specific Allied actions post war.

I have only ever known two former German soldiers (one was a Dutch Waffen SS conscript and the other a German 1942 volunteer) both surrendered at the end of the war and both incarcerated into 1946, neither expressed any ill will about their time in captivity, both spoke of "good" and "bad" guards but that was about it.

I look at this whole story with a bit of skepticism and for this to have remained a secret all this time it would have required a huge number of people to have stayed silent and given the numbers involved I doubt that would have been likely.
--
October 26th, 2019  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
There are a number of criticisms of the statistics presented in these books the one I tend to support is that the number of deaths is accurate however it is representitive of the state Germany was in at the end of the war and not Allied actions post war in other words it is representitive of the number of German soldiers and civilians who died between May 1945 and 1946 of wounds and injuries sustained during the war and not of specific Allied actions post war.

I have only ever known two former German soldiers (one was a Dutch Waffen SS conscript and the other a German 1942 volunteer) both surrendered at the end of the war and both incarcerated into 1946, neither expressed any ill will about their time in captivity, both spoke of "good" and "bad" guards but that was about it.

I look at this whole story with a bit of skepticism and for this to have remained a secret all this time it would have required a huge number of people to have stayed silent and given the numbers involved I doubt that would have been likely.
The data about civilian deaths during and after the war is really shaky, especially when a huge amount of refugees were moving into the western part of Germany from the east. A huge amount of KZ prisoners continued to die after the liberation, but they were in a bad shape. I haven't read these books, but when I took a closer look at the German statistic of German POW's, MIA's, and KIA's. The majority of the MIA's and KIA's occurred in the east. The western powers got a huge amount of POW's, more than they expected. Some of these were forced back to the Soviets.

The allied used forced labor after the war (especially the Russians and the French) to build up what was destroyed during the war.