Sig P226

r031Button

Hey I did some pistol drills in training this summer, and it really turned me onto the idea of picking up a pistol, I like the look at the reputation of Sig P226, and I was wondering what some more qualified persons thought of it. thanks

Fine pistol. THey shoot great and are well buit. The only reason why the US Army didn't adopt the Sig as it's M9 service pistol was price. Beretta sold theirs cheaper. I've shot them and I sell them. Their good, I don't know any because the Sig feels weird in my hands. That and I LOVE BERETTA! Can't go wrong with a Sig P226. ANd try to see if you can get the Sig P226R.

Well, for my money. I'd buy a Beretta 92FS before I'd buy a Sig P226. And the reasons come down to two things. One is the location of the saftey. I just don't like where it's on the Sig. And two, I think they look ugly. Both are about in terms of what they can do. The only differnce is that the Sig P226 comes chambered in 9X19mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and .357 Sig. While the Beretta 92FS is chambered in 9X19mm Parabellum and .40 S&W only. That doesn't bother me because I only use the .40 S&W Glock Pistols. I have both of my Beretta's chambered in 9X19mm Parabellum.

But if you truly want a Sig P226 and you like the way it feels in your hands. Go for it. If I was issued a Sig P226. I wouldn't feel underarmed. Hell my local department issues the Sig P226 in 9mm. Miami Dade PD. But theirs is a Double Action Only Pistol without any manual safeties. Basicly it's a Glock. In the end, I cannot tell you what to buy. YOU HAVE TO SEE WHATS OUT THERE. If you truly like the Sig P226, I say get it. They're good guns and if they weren't. I wouldn't sell them. The only thing that I do say that you should buy is the Sig P226R. It has a light rail which allows to to mount a weapons light on your pistol. Which for home defense, law enforcement, or even carrying for protection really helps. For if you can see your target. You can hit your target.

p226r-dak-large.jpg

Right on thanks allot man. One of the reasons I was interested in the Sig was that it's issued to the RCMP(Royal Canadian Mounted Police - mounties) and I was looking at joining them some time after I'm done college. I appreciate what you said, I think I'll drop by the local shop and take another look.

The Beretta won the contract because even though the basic gun was a touch more expensive, the accesseries for the pistol were cheaper.

Limeyfellow said:
The Beretta won the contract because even though the basic gun was a touch more expensive, the accesseries for the pistol were cheaper.

Other way around. The Beretta 92 Series was cheaper than the Sig P226.

Hey Button... Just for your info... The RCMP use a Smith and Wesson 9mm. Canadian SF use the Sig... Unless the mounties have replaced their sidearm in the last year, I'm almost certain it is a Smith&Wesson 9mm...

I might be wrong, that's what I was told from one of my high speed low drag reserve buddies :p He does however work with their e division thoguht I figured it was pretty accurate. MP's use them as well do they not?

Back