Should we quit the UN

--

November 7th, 2011  
papasha408

Topic: Should we quit the UN

Should the democracy's of the world quit the UN and form a union of democratic states. The UN has become increasingly corrupt. From it's 70's resolution equating zionism with racism to allowing Gaddafi to sit on councils concerning human rights to allowing a minister of Zimbabwe's state to sit on a council concerning economic development. One expects a punchline here but unfortunatly these things did happen. The UN has become a farce and it's time for all Democratic countries to say, "we have had enough. There are many more examples of UN uselessness but for the moment I shall do just one thing. And that is to ask anyone how they feel about the UN.
November 7th, 2011  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasha408
Should the democracy's of the world quit the UN and form a union of democratic states. The UN has become increasingly corrupt. From it's 70's resolution equating zionism with racism to allowing Gaddafi to sit on councils concerning human rights to allowing a minister of Zimbabwe's state to sit on a council concerning economic development. One expects a punchline here but unfortunatly these things did happen. The UN has become a farce and it's time for all Democratic countries to say, "we have had enough. There are many more examples of UN uselessness but for the moment I shall do just one thing. And that is to ask anyone how they feel about the UN.
Virtually all of the problems you outline are caused by corruption related to certain member countries geopolitical aspirations.

As for Zionism not being Racist, You should look up what the definition of Racism is. Israel purports to be against racism, yet it has laws forbidding the purchase of certain land to non Jews. That's just the start. I suppose that's not technically racism as Jews are not a "Race" but it amounts to the same.
November 7th, 2011  
r.fox

the UN is based on fairness to all member countries. the UN was designed to take over from the league of nations and eliminate the downfalls of the league. one of the reason that hitler was successful was because that every one in germany hated the league. so what if some dodgy mistakes are made? the leaders in question would probably make a huge stink if they suspected that they were excluded because of there leaderships of their countries. its okay if they let them sit in on the meetings, but its another thing all together if they were even allowed to suggest things
--
November 7th, 2011  
Chief Bones

I'll put it simply and succinctly .....
Y E S !
November 7th, 2011  
AVON

Topic: Re: Should we quit the UN info

I don't think it would be wise to quit the UN. Yes the USA will save money BUT..... when countries are against each other, the UN can provide 'smoke and mirrors' solution where the countries involved can save face and with assistance of the UN.
To me the graphic example is the Cuban Missile Crisis. Both the USSR and USA were ready to go to war than to back down and be humiliated. Both the countries were willing to use the UN as a shield and, tell their fellow citizens their version of the resolution.
The USA said the Soviets backed down and removed their missiles.
The USSR said, they were able secure a promise (in writing) that the USA will not or not allow an invasion of Cuba with any assistance from the USA. They only sought protection for Cuba!
There was a side agreement in which the USA would remove the IRBMs in Turkey and Italy. (The missiles were old and not much of a threat.) The USA did as it had promised.

The UN's greatest blunder was they did not settle the Palestinian problem. It still 'festers' and causes a major problem in the entire region.

Both Muammar Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein could have benefited from the UN coming in and negotiate an agreement, where they could leave with bunches of money. Live somewhere where they still had influence to those who loved them.
November 7th, 2011  
LeEnfield

Palestine was one of those Americans ideals to provide the Jews with a homeland and they sent weapons and support to Jewish people and still do. Okay I have no objection to a Jewish state, but as it keeps pushing into Palestine territory and taking more and more of their land, then peace will never come.
November 7th, 2011  
VDKMS

I would keep the UN. It has many faults but also many good ones. If the democratic countries join forces, so wil the non-democratic ones and we will propably get another cold-war. The first thing that has to be tackled is the sluggish bureaucracy.

Is it possible to leave Israel and Palestine out of this discussion and focus on the tread title.
November 7th, 2011  
RayManKiller3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
I would keep the UN. It has many faults but also many good ones. If the democratic countries join forces, so wil the non-democratic ones and we will propably get another cold-war. The first thing that has to be tackled is the sluggish bureaucracy.

Is it possible to leave Israel and Palestine out of this discussion and focus on the tread title.

Agreed on all of that. While we may not necessarily like the UN, it is what gives lots of our countries the influence that it have. Especially so for UK, USA, China, and Russia. If we make it a "democratic" union, it could potentially cause a confrontation with other nations. It will automatically kick China out of it, which I am sure they would not be happy about. Example would be NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

U.S I am pretty sure hates the U.N more than a lot of the countries that are in it, but we must realize we need it for now. No major player in the U.N wants to quit more than the U.S does imo.
November 8th, 2011  
Zultra

Only a buffoon would think the UN a Good thing, armed Neutrality is the way to go, no-one will mess with you if you can destroy them overnight.
November 8th, 2011  
RayManKiller3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zultra
Only a buffoon would think the UN a Good thing, armed Neutrality is the way to go, no-one will mess with you if you can destroy them overnight.

That have too many risks. Why do you think people don't want Iran with nukes?