Shot down at last.

Oh come on we know the pen is mightier than the sword and it has been demonstrated here where a guy with clipboard and bugger all else to do has done what 2500 Luftwaffe fighters couldn't do.

Haha It sucks doesnt it Monty, that guy causes a lot of hassles in my job as well.

Last edited:
Nah, I suppose they were just worried that he'd try to steal the plane and take off with it. :avi:

If Yeager can break the sound barrier one last time at 74, then why can't this Gentleman be allowed to at least taxi his girl one last time? Let alone sit in it?

This is almost a crime. Denying a war hero sitting in a plane he used to fight with. They should have honoured him but instead they broke his heart.

It is odd one this, but in these days when you can sued for looking side wards at some one, then you can understand the people that own the Spitfire being a bit worried about a 91 year old man trying to climb up the wing and into a very small cockpit. The pilots of the day always said you strapped the plane to you when you climbed into it as it was such a tight fit. Now what if he fell getting out and injured him self every one would say what a silly to do in letting such an old man climb around on it. Isn't it a shame it came down to some form of hissing fit.

It is odd one this, but in these days when you can sued for looking side wards at some one, then you can understand the people that own the Spitfire being a bit worried about a 91 year old man trying to climb up the wing and into a very small cockpit. The pilots of the day always said you strapped the plane to you when you climbed into it as it was such a tight fit. Now what if he fell getting out and injured him self every one would say what a silly to do in letting such an old man climb around on it. Isn't it a shame it came down to some form of hissing fit.

That's right, but put yourself in the shoes of that 91 year old man.
If I was in his shoes I would try desperately to climb into that plane for the last time in my life. I would rather die in that cockpit of excitement than waiting for my death in a hospital.
They could have easely written a paper, signed by that man, clearing them from any responsibility.

Okay he dies in the aircraft or on it, then some one sues you and the pay out is such you go broke and lose your aircraft and every thing else. No he dies happy you die broke, great idea. As fare as signinmg the paer goes what happens if some one says he was not in his right mind when he signed and he was forced to it just to get near the plane.

It's a shame, no right or wrong answer. However, I do believe he should have been allowed. How many more chances will this hero ever have?

Back