Shipwreck in Tauranga - Page 2

--
Boots

October 14th, 2011  
headwards

Yeah he came and shook hands with the boys and blahdy blah. Owell I feel for the guy hes sure had some bad luck!
October 15th, 2011  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwards
Yeah he came and shook hands with the boys and blahdy blah. Owell I feel for the guy hes sure had some bad luck!
Hmm did you check to see if you still have your watch and any rings after he shook hands?

Sorry I find him and his government to be somewhat akin to snake oil pedlars and I voted for him buggered if I know why oh yeah its because the others are just as bad.
October 15th, 2011  
namvet

I don't see any media coverage on it back here. I ran it thru a seach engine and found this video. the ship is called the Rena. is this it???

video

story link
--
Boots
October 15th, 2011  
headwards

Yes thats her.
October 20th, 2011  
84RFK

Ah yes, the MV.Rena, homeport Monrovia (Liberia) and owned by a Greek company.
Shall we take a guess on the nationality of the crew...?
Buildt in 1990 she's not that old, but it's amazing how fast the keeping of maintinance costs at a minimum level makes a ship detoriate, and along with the ship, the crew morale detoriates as well..
October 20th, 2011  
headwards

She probably would have done many more years without a moron captain
October 20th, 2011  
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwards
She probably would have done many more years without a moron captain
Well, that particular kind of owners of that particular kind of ships tends to hire captains for their will, and not their skill.

The will to cut costs, use low grade fuel, sail with low quality crew, cut corners, and serve the owners well.
That includes not sending a distress signal untill the catastrophy is a fact.
Towing and salvage expences is not tolerated, and the skipper will have to find another job somewhere else if he calls for assistance.
October 20th, 2011  
captiva303

Quote:
Originally Posted by namvet
I don't see any media coverage on it back here. I ran it thru a seach engine and found this video. the ship is called the Rena. is this it???

video

story link
I laughed when I heard the first reports of Rena beaching herself... My auntie is named Rena and she lives in the area.