Security Clearance

--

February 22nd, 2005  
Vitaly

Topic: Security Clearance

I am worried about getting a security clearance for the Army since my MOS is to be determined, and most MOSs that I am looking at as possibilities need a Secret clearance. My problem is that my father just got his citizenship, which makes me a citizen also, and the fact that we travel a lot in Europe and Russia. Since we just got citizenship we always traveled on our Russian passports. Is any of this going to be a problem for me getting the clearance that I may need? Also I do not currently have my certificate of citizenship for another couple of months, which leads me to another question; Should I sign up before I get it since it only verifies my status that I aquired automatically from my father or should I wait?
February 22nd, 2005  
ARMYMOM

I am not pretending to know about any of your post. Have you spoken to a recruiter yet??? If not I think you should start there. I know from breezing around these forums I have seen this subject before. But I cant intelligently answer you. Just some advice

ArmyMom
February 22nd, 2005  
OutcastHuman

Ya just talk to your recruiter and they will set it straight for you. The guys and gals there help you a lot so just give them a call.
--
February 22nd, 2005  
Vitaly

I definetly did talk to them, and all they said was yeah no problem we'll take care of it. That was said in a half-hearted way and I want reassurance.
February 22nd, 2005  
Charge 7

Didn't you say you were going infantry? I wouldn't worry about a security clearance as a private in the infantry. It would be quite awhile before you'd have any need for anything beyond the very basic levels and there's no problem even for a non-citizen to meet those. By the time any need for a secret or above clearance would be needed for you you'll be well able to meet the requirements.
February 23rd, 2005  
Vitaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Didn't you say you were going infantry? I wouldn't worry about a security clearance as a private in the infantry. It would be quite awhile before you'd have any need for anything beyond the very basic levels and there's no problem even for a non-citizen to meet those. By the time any need for a secret or above clearance would be needed for you you'll be well able to meet the requirements.
Yeah, I am 90 percent sure on infantry, but at the time of posting i was think doing something language related, as in using my fluencey in Russian. But, thanks a lot for the info.
February 23rd, 2005  
Charge 7

If you go into translation it could very well be that a secret or top secret clearance would be required, but like I said, there will be plenty of time for your citizenship and any background checks to be made before you get to that point. I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you and don't read too much into the recruiter's reaction. More likely as not, it was unconcern you were mistaking for something else.
February 23rd, 2005  
Vitaly

The other thing I was thinking about was traveling outside the country back to Russia once more before I ship. Should I be worried about this causing problems for me later?
February 23rd, 2005  
Charge 7

I shouldn't think it would be of any concern before you're in.
February 24th, 2005  
Vitaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
I shouldn't think it would be of any concern before you're in.
Yeah, you are most likely right. Good thing too since I want to say good bye to all my friends before I go in.