Scott- New Zealand Territorial

headwards

Hello I am a New Zealand Territorial soldier(private) who is 21 and 6 months away from completing a degree in history. I am interested in both military history and modern events. Weaponry etc is also very interesting though I lack any kind of experience with it other then of course the standard New Zealand rifleman weaponry.

I am also interested in what makes up the main demographic of people on these sites. I see many have extensive experience but it is hard to find information on what roles were signed up for most and what position you soldiers most enjoyed in the military, and your reasons for joining. What drove you to find other soldiers online is also of interest. I feel these sites are a valuable trove of information as people can speak with realative anonyminity and I hope to learn a lot.

Welcome!!!!

When I was in 'Nam, I was posted next to a Kiwi air force outfit that flew
BELL_UH1_small.JPG
choppers
9k=
and
raafcaribou.jpg
aircraft. I had troops stationed throughout the Mekong Delta and often caught rides with the Kiwis to reach them for personnel reasons. They were far "ballsier" than our American pilots and I will NEVER forget the time they set a Caribou down on a rice paddy levy!!!! When they came to a stop, a couple of locals came with a team of oxen, hooked them to a wheel and turned the thing around so we could unload and then take off.

I got to be good friends with them and was often invited to their "mess" which was, if I remember right, their unofficial bar. :drink: And, I was dumb enough to try to match them mug-for-mug with their warm beer! Never could get used to that - warm beer in a place with 90+ degree temperatures AND humidity.

I never knew a SINGLE American GI who could ever come close to their intake of booze - especially me.:coffee:

So, welcome and I hope things are getting cleaned up after your earthquakes.

My blog.

Last edited:
Ivcabbie:
Welcome!!!!

When I was in 'Nam, I was posted next to a Kiwi air force outfit that flew
BELL_UH1_small.JPG
choppers
9k=
and
raafcaribou.jpg
aircraft. I had troops stationed throughout the Mekong Delta and often caught rides with the Kiwis to reach them for personnel reasons. They were far "ballsier" than our American pilots and I will NEVER forget the time they set a Caribou down on a rice paddy levy!!!! When they came to a stop, a couple of locals came with a team of oxen, hooked them to a wheel and turned the thing around so we could unload and then take off.

I got to be good friends with them and was often invited to their "mess" which was, if I remember right, their unofficial bar. :drink: And, I was dumb enough to try to match them mug-for-mug with their warm beer! Never could get used to that - warm beer in a place with 90+ degree temperatures AND humidity.

I never knew a SINGLE American GI who could ever come close to their intake of booze - especially me.:coffee:

So, welcome and I hope things are getting cleaned up after your earthquakes.

My blog.

Very high praise, thankyou it is always good to hear positive things about your countrymen- especially as good drinking partners! I am very unfamiliar with Kiwi soldiers experience in Vietnam(I am currently reading a recent book about our first fifty years of unclassified SAS documents which covers their experience in Vietnam), but I will make sure to educate myself more so i can comment on this with some kind of information! This kind of first hand account is something which gives history both its personality and its humanity!

Back